Search Community

Undulation, undulate, undulating...

spacewindow test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Just wondered if any geniuses out there had any tips for a clean undulating animation for a path?

Like a balloon string, or water, or a cape or sheet in the wind?

I know there are various ways to approximate it, and I have fiddled around a bit previously, but wondered if there is a good method to do this.

Perhaps an SVG path with lots of points and straight lines between, where you can run a stagger animation on the points? But then you'd have to be able to target points specifically in the SVG somehow.

Would love to know your thoughts. Very basic example included, but you can see the curvy paths with control points don;t animate so well.

Thanks

See the Pen wMRwwE by spacewindow (@spacewindow) on CodePen

Hi @spacewindow!

How about something like this? 

See the Pen GoPpKL by Acccent (@Acccent) on CodePen

You could achieve the same effect by manipulating the background-position of an element.

Let me know if that works for you :)

edit: I tweaked it so it looks like the topmost point stays in the same position. This involves some fiddling and calculating but I'm sure you'll figure it out!

• Like 4

Take a look at our MorphSVG demo: http://codepen.io/GreenSock/pen/WQjRXE?editors=0010

A lot of work went into making the cape wave around.

You will notice there is some code in there to build the flap animation:

flap.add([
waveSVG(document.getElementById("capeBottom1"), {taperEnd: 80, taperStart:2, loose:true, length:120, angle:-52, magnitude:10, phase:110, duration:2, start:6, end:15, repeat:10}),
waveSVG(document.getElementById("shadowBottom1"), {taperEnd: 80, taperStart:2, loose:true, length:120, angle:-32, magnitude:10, phase:110, duration:2, start:7, end:12, repeat:10}),
waveSVG(document.getElementById("shadowTop1"), {loose:true, length:120, angle:-16, magnitude:20, phase:-140, duration:2, start:10, end:14, repeat:10}),
waveSVG(document.getElementById("capeTop1"), {loose:true, angle: 70, length:120, magnitude:10, phase:20, duration:2, start:2, end:9, repeat:10})
]);

Take a peek at the waveSVG function if you are curious to investigate more.

This function is not an official part of the GSAP API nor something we support. If you feel adventurous though feel free to use it. 

waveSVG() requires that you have MorphSVGPlugin loaded.

• Like 3

Thanks Acccent, yes I considered doing something like that, and for this case it is a pretty elegant solution!

I think I will have a play with the waveSVG() function.

PS I snuck in a sub question about targetting and animating specific points in an SVG – but I will post this as a separate topic. Thanks all.

Hi spacewindow  :),

In answer to your sub question - yes you can target points. These GreenSock pens should be of use to you: 

See the Pen gPGOxL by GreenSock (@GreenSock) on CodePen

See the Pen MaabXe by GreenSock (@GreenSock) on CodePen

Check out this blog post as well (Tween complex string-based values section)

http://greensock.com/gsap-1-18-0

Hopefully that helps a bit.

Happy tweening. :)