Search Community

Animating GSAP particles with no jQuery

htwinam test
Moderator Tag

Go to solution Solved by ZachSaucier,

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Hi

First of all, I'm a total JS noob so apologies if this is a really simple question.

I'm trying to animate burning embers, based on this confetti codepen:

See the Pen wBGvgW by MAW (@MAW) on CodePen

But it's reliant on jQuery - I need a jQuery-less solution, using only TweenMax, is this possible?

Trying to change the code myself () just throws up endless errors and doesn't work so would be massively grateful for any help

Thanks

See the Pen EPOryg by htwinam (@htwinam) on CodePen

• Solution

By replacing the jQuery selectors, the .width and .height function (with scrollWidth & scrollHeight), and .append function (with createElement and appendChild) I was able to use Diaco's pen to do a non-jQuery version:

See the Pen obQmOM?editors=0010 by Zeaklous (@Zeaklous) on CodePen

You can do this in the future by finding each $() part and replacing it with the vanilla JS form as well as the following .function() calls if they are jQuery functions

• Like 5

ZachSaucier beat me to it.. :D  pretty much the same thing i came up with:

See the Pen mVQvpz by jonathan (@jonathan) on CodePen

But I used offsetWidth and offsetHeight instead of jQuery width() and height() .. and then createElement() and appendChild() as usual

You could use either for your replacement of jQuery height() and width() depending on your project.

This code example shows the difference between offsetHeight vs clientHeight vs scrollHeight

http://jsfiddle.net/shibualexis/yVhgM/3/

:)

• Like 5