Search Community

Menu Stagger Animation

jstafford test
Moderator Tag

Go to solution Solved by PointC,

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Hi,

I greatly reduced my last codepen and I am reaching out for your help on this. Pretty straight forward problem here.

1) #mainMenu is the main menu and has two dropdownLinks

2) #submenuCategory1 - first submenu that is triggered to come into view by the #mainMenuCategory1 dropdownLink in the #mainMenu 

3) #submenuCategory2- second submenu that is triggered to come into view by the #mainMenuCategory2 dropdownLink in the #mainMenu 

#mainMenuCategory1 (red color) triggers the staggering in from the left of the #submenuCategory1 (matching red); main menu staggers back to the left

#mainMenuCategory2 (blue color) triggers the staggering in of the #submenuCategory2 (mathcing blue); main menu staggers back to the left

I initially set the #submenuCategory1 and #submenuCategory2 off screen and stagger the mainMenu in when the page loads

I expect when you click either  #mainMenuCategory1 or  #mainMenuCategory2 it would trigger my callback to initiate this animation, but nothing happens

See the Pen LGQgNN by jstafford (@jstafford) on CodePen

Also, don't worry about the backlink part yet. I am doing that next. I am just focused on the mainMenu --> submenu1 and mainMenu --> submenu2 animations right now. Pretty sure this last question is a real Greensock question b/c my javascript code is being hit as expected but the TweenMax is not doing what I expect? 

I initially set each submenu offscreen with the following init() function :

TweenMax.set($("#submenuCategory1"), {
  autoAlpha: 0,
  x: -200
});
TweenMax.set($("#submenuCategory2"), {
});

To bring them back in when their dropdownLink is clicked I do the following, but nothing is happening.

TweenMax.staggerTo($("#submenuCategory1 .container"), 0.5, {
          autoAlpha: 1,
          x: 200,
          ease: Back.easeOut
        }, 0.125);
      }

TweenMax.staggerTo($("#submenuCategory2 .container"), 0.5, {
          autoAlpha: 1,
          x: 200,
          ease: Back.easeOut
        }, 0.125);
      }

• Solution

You're setting the parent div (#submenuCategory1) to x:-200, but you're trying to animate the children of that div (.container) back into view. The parent is still siting at x:-200. Try changing your .set() to this:

TweenMax.set($("#submenuCategory1 .container"), {
});

I also see that your sub-menu .containers are animating to x:200. That may be intentional, but if you want to bring them to the same point as your main menu, you'll want to animate to x:0.

thanks PointC. Yes, I am still new to the x and y . Intuition would tell me the x:200 would move it positive 200 relative to the right of where it is (in the case -200). I guess it is more absolute. Not sure why I didn't find the .container you just mentioned. Thanks again.

See the Pen bELOEw by jstafford (@jstafford) on CodePen

The above codepen takes into account what you told me but I still don't understand a few things. Why is an interMenuLink element getting inside both conditional blocks and triggering both submenus to appear? I am trying to gain as much javascript knowledge as I can, but I don't understand what is going on here? 

There are two elements with class interMenuLink, one with #mainCategory1 id and the other with #mainCategory2 id. Selecting one should cause only one submenu to appear?

doh! closing tags on my submenus were off.

See the Pen adqPWP by jstafford (@jstafford) on CodePen

Last question, I am switching my autoalpha to 0 when things stagger off screen. Shouldn't he new stuff take up the top left most space when it comes in? Do I need to go to a display of "none" . Autoalpha deals with display: "hidden" and opacity: 0 . So, things still take up space. I would like it to be so that things enter and leave at the top, not where they are introduced in the DOM.