Search Community

Is there a way to translate the x: value a number of times using repeat?

rykerrumsey test
Moderator Tag

Go to solution Solved by ZachSaucier,

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

My question is about how I would go about moving these squares in the pen a certain number of times according to the TimelineMax({repeat: 5}.

eg.

-----                                        ------

|__ |   -> moves x amount -> |___| -> moves x amount -> for 5 times then returns to initial x position.

See the Pen JGMVaj by rykerrumsey (@rykerrumsey) on CodePen

Sorry for the confusion. 

I would like the boxes to continue moving a certain number of pixels in increments. Instead of snapping back to original position for the next repeat.

I know I could just hard code the steps in the animation, but it seems inefficient. Is there a better way.

*see updated pen*

• Solution

There could be a more GSAP way to do it, but this can be done by looping it inside of a for loop as opposed to using the repeat attribute:

var currX = 50,
    tl = new TimelineMax();

for(var i = 0; i < 4; i++) {
  tl.to(".red", 1, {x:currX})
    .to(".blue", 1, {x:currX});
  currX += 50;
}

See the Pen EPoJBx by Zeaklous (@Zeaklous) on CodePen

This may be the only way due to the fact that the value of the tos cannot be changed on repeat (i.e. new Tweens have to be created).

• Like 3

@PointC

Why did you use a stagger? That got me thinking about something, using the same element in a stagger. I never tried it before, but it will work if there's no overlap in time.

TweenMax.staggerTo([".red",".red",".red",".red"], 1, { x: "+=50" }, 1);

Another experiment. Using lodash to fill an array with the same value. So this will create 20 tweens.

TweenMax.staggerTo(_.fill(Array(20), ".blue"), 1, { x: "+=50" }, 1);

Not sure if I would ever do something like that, but it might come in handy somewhere down the line.

See the Pen bEaymJ?editors=0010 by osublake (@osublake) on CodePen

• Like 4

Ha - that's funny - I did almost the exact same experiment with the same element in a stagger and found that it would work. I don't know if it's the best way to accomplish a particular goal, but kind of cool that it works.

BTW - I guess I missed your 1,000th - congratulations on cracking the 1,000 post mark. :)

• Like 2