Search Community

Object tweens simultaneously / chain events

syntaxReflex test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Hi everyone,

I am new to using GSAP, but have used (the timeline) in Flash heavily. I've read the documentation and tried to follow it.

For my first project using GSAP, I built a small banner ad to test some of the functionalities. It can be seen here: 

As for now, I have some questions about my code:

1. (How) can I chain the .set into one large string (so that they are all set at once)?

For example: 
TweenLite.set("#box", {x:52, y:57}).set("#shadow", {x:127, y:52, autoAlpha:0});

Is this even possible?

2. I would like to move the #box, #shadow, #pack and #line simultaneously to the left, but in the code provided the animations start when the one before is finished... How can I fix this? Is it possible to be chained as well?

tl.to("#box", .5, {x:-25, y: 62, scale: 0.72, rotation:0.001, ease:Power2.easeInOut});
        tl.to("#shadow", .5, {x:55, y: 58, scale: 0.72, rotation:0.001, ease:Power2.easeInOut});
        tl.to("#pack", .5, {x:70, y: 76, scale: 0.72, rotation:0.001, ease:Power2.easeInOut});
        tl.to("#line", .5, {x:-10, y: 170, scale: 0.72, rotation:0.001, ease:Power2.easeInOut});

3. If you have any other remarks, tips, optimisations or observations about my code, don't hesitate to give me a heads up!

Thanks in advance for all your (kind) help!

See the Pen bEBxBB by anon (@anon) on CodePen

Hi syntaxReflex  :),

Welcome to the forums.

You can chain those sets() as part of a Timeline, but I don't think you can do it the way you have it there. I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong. This will work though:

tl = new TimelineMax();
tl.set("#box", {x:52, y:57}).set("#shadow", {x:127, y:52, autoAlpha:0});

You can also set multiple targets if you're setting the same properties by putting the targets into an array like this:

TweenLite.set([target1,target2], {autoAlpha:0});

Part 2 of your question - labels are your friend. For a complete understanding of labels and the position parameter, check out Carl's video:

http://greensock.com/position-parameter

Hopefully this helps a bit. Happy tweening. :)

• Like 3

Hi and welcome to the GreenSock forums.

Thanks for providing the demo. Very helpful.

The secret to gaining control of your timing in your timeline is in the position parameter.

Please watch / read: https://greensock.com/sequence-video and http://greensock.com/position-parameter 

In your case just use a label. I chose to name it "end". 

.to("#box", .5, {x:-25, y: 62, scale: 0.72, rotation:0.001, ease:Power2.easeInOut}, "end")
.to("#shadow", .5, {x:55, y: 58, scale: 0.72, rotation:0.001, ease:Power2.easeInOut}, "end")
.to("#pack", .5, {x:70, y: 76, scale: 0.72, rotation:0.001, ease:Power2.easeInOut}, "end")
.to("#line", .5, {x:-10, y: 170, scale: 0.72, rotation:0.001, ease:Power2.easeInOut}, "end")

--

TweenLite.set() can not be chained. There is no shortcut to what you are doing. (edit: as PointC pointed out, using set() in the timeline will allow chaining)
As you will see in the revised CodePen above, the TimelineLite methods of to(), from(), staggerFrom() etc can be chained. 
  • Like 2