Search Community

Creating TimelineLite dynamically / JS

anu test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Hi,

I have an array and I have put those contents to dynamically created divs like this

var array = ["content1", "content2", "content3"];

var myVar = "";

for (j = 0 ; j < array.length; j++) {       
      myVar += "<div id='name"+(j+1)+"'>"+array[j]+"</div>"
}
someDiv.innerHTML = myVar;

So as a result of this, my page looks like

<div id="someDiv">
     <div id="name1">content1</div>
     <div id="name2">content2</div>
     <div id="name3">content3</div>
</div>

Now, I would like to put those dynamically in TimelineLite, so the result would be

var tl = new TimelineLite();
tl.add( TweenLite.from(name1, 1, {left:0, opacity:0} ) );
tl.add( TweenLite.from(name2, 1, {left:0, opacity:0} ) );
tl.add( TweenLite.from(name3, 1, {left:0, opacity:0} ) );

So my question is, how can I put a variable inside TimelineLite constructor? 
I've tried

for (k=1; k<array.length+1; k++){
    tl.add( TweenLite.from(name+k, 1, {opacity:0} ) );

}

but this doesn't work.. anyone? Thanks in advance!

Hi anu, welcome to the foruns!

Having something we can see the error and a reduced case scenario makes it easier for the people here to help you track down and fix whatever might be wrong. Have a read at this post from Carl where he explains how to make a little code pen demo.

Regarding your question: It should work. Why it doesn't work could be for a number of reasons. And because we can't see the error, we can't tell you what is wrong. However, on your second loop, you really should convert name into a string and add the # to it so that TweenLite knows your are looking for an id name.

See the Pen JGXdrv by dipscom (@dipscom) on CodePen

• Like 4

Hi @anu, welcome!

This should be easy to fix. What you seem to be missing is concatenating the `name` part (which is a constant string) with a value of an iterating variable `k`. You also seem to be missing the `#` part in a CSS selector which lets you select elements by ID.

So your `tl.add(...)` lines probably need to look something like this:

tl.add(TweenLite.from('#name' + k), /* the rest follows */));

While I am at it, I would also recommend a few things:

• First off, I would rather suggest you to use `class` instead of `id` in order to do more things to a set of elements instead of targeting one unique element on a per-need basis.
  • Then, I would recommend you to use shortcut methods provided by TimelineMax (and Lite) versions, such as `.from()`, `.fromTo()` and `.to()` instead of using `.add()` (and then passing a `TweenLite.to()` instance to it). These are convenience methods, it just makes the whole thing appear a little more cleaner in my humble opinion. Both options are valid.
  • Then, I would ask to you to try and avoid animating `left` attribute of any element and instead would recommend you to always look for ways to animate `translateX` (which in GSAP world is referred to simply as `x`) property of any object. Have a read of this article which aptly explains the benefits of animating `translateX` over `left`.
  • Lastly, I would rather ask you to look into `.staggerFrom()` method (and its siblings `.staggerFromTo()` and `.staggerTo()` methods) to avoid the loop entirely and to probably add a nice staggering effect to your transitions.

Take a look at this fiddle as an example with all the recommendations, stated above, implemented. JavaScript of which looks like below:

var someDiv = document.querySelector('.someDiv');
var array = ['content1', 'content2', 'content3'];
var length = array.length;
var myVar = '';
var elements = null;
var tl = new TimelineMax({ paused: true });

for (var i = 0 ; i < length; i += 1) {
  myVar += '<div class="name">' + array[i] + '</div>';
}

someDiv.innerHTML = myVar;
elements = document.querySelectorAll('.name');

tl.staggerFrom(elements, 1, { x: 40, opacity: 0, ease: Back.easeOut.config(2) }, 0.2);
tl.play();

Hope this helps.

• Like 5

Hello anu, and Welcome to the GreenSock Forum!

Here is one way creating a dynamic timeline from a javascript object literal instead of a javascript array

See the Pen Croyi by jonathan (@jonathan) on CodePen

// create object with all your tween properties
var obj = {
  0: {
    target: "#box1",
    duration: .25,
    vars: {
      autoAlpha: 0,
      scale: 1.2
    }
  },
  1: {
    target: "#box2",
    duration: .25,
    vars: {
      autoAlpha: 0,
      scale: 1.3
    }
  },
};

// create a new timeline
var tl = new TimelineMax({
  repeat: -1
});

// create a loop
var i = 0;
for (var key in obj) {

// apply all your propertt values in your tween
  tl.to(obj[i].target, obj[i].duration, obj[i].vars);

i++;
}

When animating it is better to use x, y, and z versus top, right, bottom, or left. Since x and y will animate on a sub-pixel level whereas top, right, bottom, or left only animate on a pixel level. Please see the following:

GreenSock Jack's Myth Busting: CSS Animations vs. JavaScript: https://css-tricks.com/myth-busting-css-animations-vs-javascript/

And this to: http://www.paulirish.com/2012/why-moving-elements-with-translate-is-better-than-posabs-topleft/

Also to better help you a codepen example would be helpful to see your code live and in an editable environment.

:)

• Like 4