Search Community

Move object back to the original position in a simple way?

venn test
Moderator Tag

Go to solution Solved by Tahir Ahmed,

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

tl.to('#object', 1, {y: 10})
  .to('#object', 1, {y:0})

A very simple but yet dumb question.

I have an #object that I want to move y:10. Is there a way that the object will move back to its original position once the to animation is completed? Rather than specifying another .to to animate back to the original position?

Can I use easing to achieve that? Or do I need to be verbose with my code?

Cheers,

Venn.

It starts to become unwieldy when you need to animate JUST 4 objects in 4 directions.

tl.to('#top', 1, {y: 10})
  .to('#top', 1, {y:0}, 'label')
  .to('#bottom', 1, {y: -10}, 0)
  .to('#bottom', 1, {y: 0}, 'label')
  .to('#left', 1, {x: 10}, 0)
  .to('#left', 1, {x: 0}, 'label')
  .to('#right', 1, {x: -10}, 0)
  .to('#right', 1, {x: 0}, 'label');

• Solution

Hi @venn,

I think you can use `repeat: 1` along with `yoyo: true` in order to make them return to their original positions. Take a look at this simple fiddle for example.

The takeaway is:

timeline.to(top, animDuration, { y: 0, repeat: 1, yoyo: true, ease: animEase });
timeline.to(right, animDuration, { x: 0, repeat: 1, yoyo: true, ease: animEase });
timeline.to(bottom, animDuration, { y: 0, repeat: 1, yoyo: true, ease: animEase });
timeline.to(left, animDuration, { x: 0, repeat: 1, yoyo: true, ease: animEase });

Hope this helps.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Hi @venn,

I think you can use `repeat: 1` along with `yoyo: true` in order to make them return to their original positions. Take a look at this simple fiddle for example.

The takeaway is:

timeline.to(top, animDuration, { y: 0, repeat: 1, yoyo: true, ease: animEase });
timeline.to(right, animDuration, { x: 0, repeat: 1, yoyo: true, ease: animEase });
timeline.to(bottom, animDuration, { y: 0, repeat: 1, yoyo: true, ease: animEase });
timeline.to(left, animDuration, { x: 0, repeat: 1, yoyo: true, ease: animEase });

Hope this helps.

AH! Yes! That's what I am looking for. The YOYO!

Thanks!

I think this is the best and most efficient solution.