Search Community

Unable to reset Ease multiple times on TweenMax with updateTo

DeanBDean test
Moderator Tag

Go to solution Solved by GreenSock,

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Hi All,

I have looked through this forum here, but I didn't quite see this discussed. I want to change the easing type between a play() and reverse() animation on a TweenMax. However, it seems to change the ease type only once, and all subsequent attempts to use updateTo seem to do nothing. I did find a really hacky way around the issue by adding 

tween._ease = tween.vars.ease;

after the updateTo. You can see this in the CodePen by uncommenting line 4. That does not seem like the right way to actually do this. This feels like I'm just missing something simple, but I've looked at the docs and Googled around and I don't see where my error is.

See the Pen vLEMyQ by DeanBDean (@DeanBDean) on CodePen

• Solution

Interesting - I never even thought someone would attempt to change the ease in an updateTo() (and by the way, that'd cause a jump if you did that in the middle of a tween because the eases would likely render things at different spots at that particular progress but in your case you're doing it only at the very start/end so it isn't noticeable). I fixed that in the upcoming 1.18.1 release which you can preview (uncompressed) here: 

https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/s.cdpn.io/16327/TweenMax-latest-beta.js

Thanks for pointing it out. 

• Like 3

Awesome, thanks so much. I definitely don't want to reset an ease in the middle of a tween for the reasons you state. I'm only wanting to set it onComplete and onReverseComplete so that I get the bounce that I desire.

I am using npm to pull in the GSAP library, is there a commit I can point to in my package.json? Or do I just need to wait until it's officially released to update my npm and use the above file as a workaround for now?