Search Community

Resuming a paused tween [SOLVED]

darngooddesign test
Moderator Tag

I'm looping a MC

TweenMax.allTo([counterMC6.numbers4], 1, {y:-600, repeat:140, delay:1.5, ease:Linear.easeNone} );

I have another button that pauses it.

TweenMax.allTo([counterMC6.numbers4], 0, {paused:true, overwrite:true} );

How would I resume the repeating animation? Do I have to nest it in another Tween and pause/resume that Tween? I don't want to loose the number of times it has already repeated.

Actually, I'd recommend doing it this way:

var group:TimelineLite = new TimelineLite();
group.appendMultiple( TweenMax.allTo([counterMC6.numbers4], 1, {y:-600, repeat:140, delay:1.5, ease:Linear.easeNone}) );

//then to pause the whole group...
group.stop();

//and to start playing...
group.play()

You could even reverse() or add labels, whatever. Tons of possibilities. http://blog.greensock.com/v11beta/

Another question then...

The numbers4 MC contains numbers stacked on top of each other and the tween moves them up in front of a box:

etc

When the animation runs its fine, but when paused I would like the mc to snap to increments of 60 so the numbers are centered.

Is this going to be hugely complex?

It'd be easy to make 'em jump there and stay, but if you want to be able to play() your tween from that new spot and maintain all the existing tweens and their repeat counts, etc., it's definitely more challenging. You'd need to do the math to figure out the time at which they'd hit the next 60 coordinate, and have your timeline skip to that time (group.currentTime = whatever). But it looks like you don't even have them going at the same pace - if they're all stacked on top of each other yet they're tweening to exactly the same y coordinate, that means the ones that are further away will travel faster. That also means that it's extremely challenging to find exact times when they all line up on increments of 60. In fact, it may never happen. Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, though.

I'm pressed for time on another project right now, so I don't have time to come up with the algorithm. Sorry.

I wasn't expecting you to come up with that algorithm however I am having an issue with the code you suggested.

var group:TimelineLite = new TimelineLite();

onCounterBtn{
group.appendMultiple([
TweenMax.allTo([counterMC6.numbers2], 50, {y:-600, repeat:1, delay:4, ease:Linear.easeNone}),
TweenMax.allTo([counterMC6.numbers3], 5.1, {y:-600, repeat:20, delay:2, ease:Linear.easeNone})
]);
}

onPauseBtn{
group.stop();
}

onPlayBtn{
group.play()
}

The play pause buttons don't work and I'm getting this error:

TypeError: Error #1009: Cannot access a property or method of a null object reference.
at com.greensock::TimelineLite/insert()
at com.greensock::TimelineLite/insertMultiple()
at com.greensock::TimelineLite/appendMultiple()
at 10518_10_SalesMap_5Tabs_091609_fla::exhibit5_4/onCounterBtn()

I understand your deadline, so just post when you have time.

Cheers

Larry

PS. Using the TweenMax.pauseAll(); and TweenMax.resumeAll(); the issue I was having was that while it didn't stop the elapsed time. by that I mean:

Lets say I paused at 1:00 and resumed at 1:30, when I would press resume the tweens would continue from 1:30. This presents a problem as I'm using a lot of delay's, and I needed to be able to pause the timer so it doesn't matter how long leave it paused, it will resume exactly where I left off. Hope that makes sense.

You added extra brackets around the TweenMax.allTo() calls. Remember, TweenMax.allTo() returns an Array of tweens. So you were passing arrays within arrays. I also assume your numbers2 and numbers3 were arrays themselves, right? In that case, it should be:

onCounterBtn {
   group.appendMultiple( TweenMax.allTo(counterMC6.numbers2, 50, {y:-600, repeat:1, delay:4, ease:Linear.easeNone}) );
   group.appendMultiple( TweenMax.allTo(counterMC6.numbers3, 5.1, {y:-600, repeat:20, delay:2, ease:Linear.easeNone}) );
}

TypeError: Error #1034: Type Coercion failed: cannot convert flash.display::MovieClip@13f4b81 to Array.
at 10518_10_SalesMap_5Tabs_091609_fla::exhibit5_4/onCounterBtn()

What kind of thing can do that?

Will tweening buttons in the group do it? I think they were casing an issue so I commented them out ad got the above error. The only complex code I have in these tweens are a couple of renderImmediately:false.

The number2, numbers3 are static MCs that are being tweened. They were in brackets earlier because I was trying a different angle.

Oh, okay, then if you're just tweening one mc with each tween, then don't use allTo(), use to(). Like this:

onCounterBtn {
   group.append( TweenMax.to(counterMC6.numbers2, 50, {y:-600, repeat:1, delay:4, ease:Linear.easeNone}) );
   group.append( TweenMax.to(counterMC6.numbers3, 5.1, {y:-600, repeat:20, delay:2, ease:Linear.easeNone}) );
}

• 3 weeks later...

I'm using the most recent version of AS3 TimelinMax.

The counter pause is in Exhibit 5. Currently, when you click the pause button the red square still Tweens away after five seconds. I tried setting GlobalTimeScale=0, which worked for the play/pause btw, but then none of the Tweens in Exhibit 1, for example, worked. Also, in the tabs layer I was Tweening the tint, but that no longer works. I commented out those Tweens, but what replaces them?

http://www.darngooddesign.com/PauseTest.zip

I'm using the most recent version of AS3 TimelinMax.

No you're not - you're using extremely outdated versions of all the classes. In old versions, TweenLite tweens could not be paused. Only in recent weeks has that capability been added. Had you used a TweenMax tween on the red square, pauseAll() would have been effective. But if you update to the latest version (http://blog.greensock.com/v11beta/), it seems to work great even with TweenLite (now that the pause() capability has been added).

Does that clear things up for you?