GreenSock

Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Silly-V

How to get current step of an animated attribute?

Go to solution Solved by Carl,

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Hi, greetings! I am a complete newbie and am very excited to get started learning GSAP for SVG animation.

Right now I have one of the most basic questions: can I get a current step of a transform attribute component from an affected SVG shape using GSAP? I noticed that the amazing and intuitive capability of GSAP turns transform attribute parts into a matrix and I've come across https://css-tricks.com/get-value-of-css-rotation-through-javascript/ which is what I'll resort to outside of this forum.

However, I have to ask if there's already a native GSAP method of doing this. My goal is to simply keep track of transform values in units, such as rotation of a clock-arrow, using an onUpdate function.

tl.fromTo(
	elem,
	duration,
	{
		rotation : oldAngle,
		transformOrigin : "50% 50%"
	},
	{
		rotation : newAngle,
		transformOrigin : "50% 50%",
		ease: myEase,
		onUpdate : function(){
			// elem.currentRotationAngle = ?
		}
	},
	myLabel
);

Thanks, and thanks to all who made this code available for the people of Earth.

• Solution

Hi and welcome to the GreenSock forums,

When you perform a transform on an element GSAP will attach a _gsTransform object to that element.

The _gsTransform  object will hold properties like x, y, scaleX, scaleY, skewX, rotationY etc.

Master Rodrigo made this demo many moons ago which should illustrate it nicely for you:

http://codepen.io/rhernando/pen/FxHhm?editors=001

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

How cool is that! Thanks for your help and the link, I didn't even know this was happening, it doesn't cease to surprise me with amazements!