Search Community

Call this Friday

Pizzaman test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Forgive me if this post is a little too brief or vague.  Haha, there's sooo much happening with my schedule at the moment.

So this Friday morning I have a call with the folks over at Google to discuss HTML5 ad development tools, animation and where they're going with responsive ads.

One big thing I'm going to be stressing is how crucial GSAP is to the development community and the importance to continue building stronger support for the platform across their ad network.

Beyond everything I'm already planning on discussing, is there anything everyone else out there in the community would like to see better improvement upon?  This is mostly pertaining to support and development of ads that run on GDN (DoubleClick Studio and AdWords).

Great initiative, Pizzaman. Yes, building out support for GSAP across the platform seems wise. I will say that the Google/AdWords folks have reached out and seem very open to that. The more they hear from customers like you, the more likely it is that they'll exclude GSAP from file size calculations (because they'd CDN-ify it). I think things are headed in a positive direction. 

That's the most critical piece in my opinion (CDN-ifying GSAP and excluding it from file size calculations). I also think it'd be super helpful if tools like Google Web Designer and Adobe Edge Animate and Flash would include an exporter that'd spit out GSAP-based code. That way, you could get the best of both worlds - a visual tool with concise export leveraging a runtime that's fast and doesn't count against your file size budget. 

Let us know how it goes with your call. Glad you asked for input here.

• Like 2

I think everyone would benefit if AdWords borrowed from the DoubleClick Enabler API to use a common set of code for common things like clickTags (exit events), knowing when the page is loaded and when the ad is visible. Of course, only mention this after all the GSAP stuff is squared away:)

IMHO the one thing AdWords should do, is allow links to external files. Without that permission in the specs there are no CDN links. I have no reason to know everywhere the media buyers are going to put the ads I build, and don't like getting emails labeled HOT! weeks after i have released files, because something I built links to a CDN hosted js file. I am sure the AdOps people are just as frustrated.