Search Community

Adding tween with dynamic variables to Scrollmagic/GSAP timeline

G BIN test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

I am a Jquery novice, and would have thought the solution to my problem to be quite simple, however I have tried a million permutations of this code and I can't solve it.

I am using Scrollmagic and GSAP, and want to trigger three tweens from the same point, so that they fire one after the other (with a slight overlap). The scenes have duration: 0 so that the user only starts the animation, but does not control its progress. Each tween contains a css transform, to work on the same object (#boxes3d). 

The effect I am going for is : 
1) The boxes start flat, but are exploded into 3D by changing the css perspective value to 850px. 
2) The boxes rotate 180 degrees by changing the css transform value. 
3) The boxes are collapsed again by reverting to perspective: 50000. 
[ 4) The animation reverses when the user scrolls back past the trigger.] 

The complication is that the transform value must also incorporate a dynamic scale value in order to make the absolutely positioned divs inside #boxes3d fit the frame at any screen size. The scale value (and therefore the whole transform) is set dynamically by another Jquery function: scaleDiv() which contains the nested rotate3D() and reverse3D() functions. 

I think I need to create a timelineMax (or Lite) to queue the tweens, but I am having problems putting dynamic css values into the timeline. 

I have created a jsfiddle (not a codepen - sorry - I hope that doesn't matter too much) with the tweens/transitions that I want to string together, along with the scaleDiv function that must be incorporated into the second tween. At present they have separate scenes, but I want to put them all into one scene/timeline. 

Here is the fiddle: http://jsfiddle.net/gbinning/vccxufou/13/. I would really really appreciate some guidance! Thank you v much!

Edit: I haven't quite set up the scaleDiv function correctly, you need to slightly resize the window to trigger it.

See the Pen 13 by gbinning (@gbinning) on CodePen