Search Community

Draggable line graph / wave form - looking for best way to animate

are_dub test
Moderator Tag

Go to solution Solved by OSUblake,

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Hello, 

I need to render a line graph, using data points, and allow the user to scroll left or right through the graph. I was thinking to use drawSVG in some fashion, but I am having an issue translating the data points to an SVG line. 

I'm not sure that is the way to go - I need to have the graph display about 10 seconds of a 30 minute long wave, but the user needs to be able to scroll back and forth at will. 

What would you use to achieve this effect? 

My current thinking is that I either

1. Render an svg for each frame of the animation, somehow translating x and y into an svg line.
  2. Render one long wave and scroll it within a container. (Again somehow translating x and y into an svg line)
  3. Look at graphing libraries and use greensock to manipulate the data point properties.

I obviously at the concept stage here, so sorry for the lack of details. Any thoughts are appreciated!