GreenSock

jroncero

How to animate a bouncing ball effect?

Go to solution Solved by Jonathan,

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Newbie question:

Imagine a ball bouncing up and down while moving horizontally from left to right.

bal04.gif

In the days of the Flash timeline, this could be done by animating along  a path. What's a good method to get this done with GSAP?

PS: the transformation of the ball getting squashed when hitting the ground is not necessary, just the bounce effect up and down and to the sides.

• Solution

Hello jroncero, and Welcome to the GreenSock Forum!

Its great you want to tackle the bouncing ball. :D

Here is an example of bouncing ball, with squash and stretch in SVG.

See the Pen EVXgGV by jonathan (@jonathan) on CodePen

In my example, im just bouncing the ball in place but if i wanted to move it forward, i would just animate the <g> tag of my #ball using x (translateX). Just so you could see how it is setup with various functions that return a timeline to the master timeline. I'm just using SVG here. I actually created the ball in Flash CC. I then exported my scene out of Flash CC using the Flash2SVG extension. Then i just used GSAP to animate my SVG ball parts that i had organized in Flash CC. Flash2SVG kept the same structure of my MovieClips and labels in a nice little SVG separated by <g> (group) tags. You can grab the Flash2SVG extension from inside your Adobe CC account extension area.

You could also bounce your ball along a path as well using the bezierPlugin. This example uses <div> tags:

See the Pen jbEmKy by jonathan (@jonathan) on CodePen

As you see there are various ways to bounce a ball, and probably even more ways, but you will have to play around with GSAP to see what works with what you are trying to achieve

Resources:

GSAP TimelineMax: http://greensock.com/docs/#/HTML5/GSAP/TimelineMax/

GSAP bezierPlugin: http://greensock.com/docs/#/HTML5/GSAP/Plugins/BezierPlugin/

:)

• Like 4

Thanks for the tips. I ended up using the bezierPlugin approach. It took me a bit to figure out, but after getting it, it made the process very intuitive. 

As a side note, the level of support in the forums is impressive. You guys are very prompt and thorough with your help.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Hi deb :)

Welcome to the forums.

If you want a simple bouncing ball that never ends, a repeating timeline is all you need. Something like this:

var tl = new TimelineMax({repeat:-1});

tl.to("#ball", .10, {transformOrigin: "50% 100%", scaleY:0.25, yoyo:true, repeat:1})
  .to("#ball", .75, {y:-400, ease:Circ.easeOut, yoyo:true, repeat:1});

See the Pen MyrbVr by PointC (@PointC) on CodePen

Hopefully that helps a bit.

Happy tweening and welcome aboard.

:)

• Like 4

Thanks for the guide! It's exactly what I was looking for. 

• Like 2