Search Community

Get width of element after swapping text within timeline

vanadu test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

I'm basically a noob, but this should be easy and I'm suffering from two days of head-bashing. I'm trying to loop through an array of text values in absolutely positioned elements. The start and return tween positions are based on the width of the elements, which of course change when the text within them changes. I'm using TimelineMax and addCallback to change the text. But I can't figure out how to get the updated element width back into the tween. See attached Codepen -- the element to the right of the red text should bounce back to the right edge of the new text, not the old text. I'm sure I'm missing something basic...

BTW the red text has to have a fixed position, so floats and relative positioning is out...unless I missed something there too.

Thanks for any pointers...Vanadu 

See the Pen dYmKBb by vanadu (@vanadu) on CodePen

• 3 weeks later...