Search Community

Google DoubleClick and AdWords host GSAP on their CDN

GreenSock test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Not sure about everyone else, but if AdWords is the Lowest Common Denominator, tthat sucks, because who has time to create two sets of every ad size. My ads start in DCM then get distributed somehow to  AdWords and GCN, or is it GDN, without me even knowing it, until I get some complaint about something.

I agree - it's a bit strange that Adwords is the lone major network that's not exempting GSAP from file size calculations yet, especially because both DoubleClick and Adwords are both Google. I suspect that if enough people complain, Adwords will get on board. Please make your voice heard. Also, if you know of a direct contact at Adwords that you can connect us with who has some pull in this area, please let us know. We've had a tough time getting direct access to anyone there who really knows what's going on in this regard or can affect change. 

Maybe social media is a way to get their attention. Here is their Facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/ENadwords?fref=ts

The issue comes down to the fact that AdWords insists on assets using relative paths.

HTML5 ads must include: 

• <!DOCTYPE html> declaration and must contain a <html>, <head> and <body>tag.
  • Ad dimensions must match the placement dimensions to prevent distortions. Add an ad size <meta> tag within the <head> tag.
  • All code and assets must be relative and inside the .zip file. No external references, (see “Policy Requirements on the Google Display Network through AdWords”).
  • Your .zip file should include only one .html file.

Owen Corso  from most of Google's HTML5 Google Hangouts is in this AdWords HTML5 video. So he might have some influence.

YouTube are still including GSAP in file size calculations, but then they're also including the Enabler.js, custom.elements.min.js and the ytclosebutton.js in their calculations. Which seems completely absurd to me, but they wont change their mind.

Also they're being pretty vague about how they're calculating these sizes.

• 1 month later...

99% of what you need for ads is in TweenMax.min.js

It is served from DoubleClick as a gzipped file weighing only 35kb

This is what happens when you load DoubleClick's TweenMax.min.js file

http://prntscr.com/98oou7

Since DoubleClick is hosting the same version of TweenMax for every ad the practical end result is that 0kb needs to be loaded since the chance of that version of TweenMax being cached by your browser (or any on the planet) is extremely high. For this reason it is recommended that TweenMax is excluded from file size calculations.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We just received confirmation from AdWords that GSAP is now officially supported and exempt from file size calculations! This is pretty huge news, of course, and our hat's off to Google for making this happen. 

Conveniently, they're using the same CDN URLs as DoubleClick which means even better caching.

https://support.google.com/richmedia/answer/6307288

At this point, every major network that we're aware of not only supports GSAP but also exempts it from file size calculations and hosts it on their CDN. This should make it a lot easier for GSAP users to build an ad once and deploy it almost anywhere. 

Happy tweening!

• Like 3

thanks!

does anybody know a test-site? where i can upload the banner and see of it will except by adwords...

we now making .jpgs for Facebook advertising, i'd like make animations for adwords....

but before i presented them to the board, i would like to check them if the will pass the google/adwords check...

thanks!

does anybody know a test-site? where i can upload the banner and see of it will except by adwords...

we now making .jpgs for Facebook advertising, i'd like make animations for adwords....

but before i presented them to the board, i would like to check them if the will pass the google/adwords check...

I asked that question on this hangout: https://plus.google.com/+DoubleClickRichMediaTraining/posts/HpbViNzv5Wf

They said they're working on it, and hope to release it by Q1 2016 (Which probably means it will be ready for Q3).

• Like 1

I find it interesting that Google is providing Adobe CDN links for the createJS suite of files and not the Adobe Edge Animate one.

My company uses DCM, but the bounces from AdWords have come from an AdWords vendor after the creative is created in DCM, so the fix (SSL compliance on a Google font that DCM did not balk at)  had to go back through DCM before being resubmitted to the vendor who does the AdWords lifting.

I find it interesting that Google is providing Adobe CDN links for the createJS suite of files and not the Adobe Edge Animate one.

My company uses DCM, but the bounces from AdWords have come from an AdWords vendor after the creative is created in DCM, so the fix (SSL compliance on a Google font that DCM did not balk at)  had to go back through DCM before being resubmitted to the vendor who does the AdWords lifting.

They've probably felt that Adobe Edge Animate didn't have enough of a critical mass user base to warrant hosting those libraries. Or they had a heads-up that Adobe were going to stop development of Edge products. 

Interesting difference between Google DoubleClick and Google AdWords for Adobe Animate (Flash Pro) users

DoubleClick host all necessary CreateJS libs

EaselJS

Movieclip

PreloadJS

SoundJS

TweenJS

AdWords host only EaselJS and TweenJS CreateJS libs. PreloadJSMovieclip and SoundJS you must internaly include in ZIP.
Otherwise you get message:

"Your HTML5 ad is trying to reference an asset that is external to your .ZIP file: https://s0.2mdn.net/ads/studio/cached_libs/movieclip_0.8.1_927f07f1635e6a2a1aa76e79f9decf86_min.js. Only internal file references are allowed (for example, "path/to/asset/in-zip.png"). Make sure you have included all of your assets in the .ZIP file and that all file references are internal. Once you have made the changes, try again.Your HTML5 ad is trying to reference an asset that is external to your .ZIP file: https://s0.2mdn.net/ads/studio/cached_libs/preloadjs_0.6.1_ab03d7dc94f6d4fae428f99662cd5819_min.js. Only internal file references are allowed (for example, "path/to/asset/in-zip.png"). Make sure you have included all of your assets in the .ZIP file and that all file references are internal. Once you have made the changes, try again. Learn more"

• Like 1

hello...again...

i'am still a newbie, but like the coding.. I try to make the step to online advertising..

we want to advertise on Google Display Network..(is that the same as Google Double Click)( we are located in the netherlands )

I made this banner...can anybody see i'm doing it right, so that google will accepted?

( to get time/budget/credits, i want the first advertising to be successful.. ;-)

See the Pen KVgPbd by cartamundi (@cartamundi) on CodePen

so maybe someone see...of it is good enough...or what i can do to make it better ;-)