GreenSock

Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
brendynz

Images shake during minor scale and movement

Can anyone give me any tips to reduce jittery animation when scaling or tweening short distances with Tweenlite? I've tried force3d:true, and z:00000.1 to try to force hardware acceleration, but didnt seem to work.

Thanks!

Do you have a reduced test case we can see? And what browser are you looking at? It'd be super useful to see a codepen demo so that we can see what you're seeing and poke around a bit. Something sounds a bit fishy but it's tough to say without seeing it. 

Oh, that's because you're animating top/left which browsers only allow on whole pixel values. The pixel snapping is what's causing the jerky animation. That's not a GSAP issue. It would be much smoother if you animated x/y instead of top/left because x/y are transforms which use sub-pixel rendering. 

• Like 3

I have a similar issue of jittery images Firefox only (Chrome and IE seem to be fine), when scaling images: http://holiday.cmog.org

I've added hardware acceleration to the body with translate3d. I saw the comment about adding 0.01 deg rotation --I can't add that in a tween, as it overwrites other transforms I'm using to center the images (translate X and Y), but I've added it the style of the images. But those don't seem to be doing the trick.

Any suggestions?

Hey, I'm having the same problem, I try to change x: and y: to xPercent: and y: Percent but it's the same, when you hover the image in scaling effect it behavior jittery.  No codepen but you can see the problem on live website. https://moka.tv/about.html

Hey @Flor Lapetina and welcome to the GreenSock forums. If you'd like our help debugging, please create a minimal demo of the issue and create a new thread about it. You can learn more about how to do so here:

21 hours ago, Flor Lapetina said:

Hey, I'm having the same problem, I try to change x: and y: to xPercent: and y: Percent but it's the same, when you hover the image in scaling effect it behavior jittery.  No codepen but you can see the problem on live website. https://moka.tv/about.html

Hello Flor,

Welcome to the forums!

Feel free to create a brand new post for your questions. Specially now that GSAP is on V3 with a different syntax. The old conversations might confuse less experienced people and probably won't be relevant.

As for your issue. I only looked at it for a couple of minutes, debugging an animation in a full production site is not ideal for us as we have very little context.

Anyway, in your <figure> tag with the class "member-card-img" you have a transform  rule. Remove that and your issue goes away. The compounding of this transform and the one being applied by the scaling is what is causing the jitter.

• Like 2

Hey, thank you very much, now I see that this is the problem, but what happens is that the transform rule comes from a js that uses gsap (I didn't even do it because it uses old js methods). Here in codepen you can see the js, I tried to load the cdn but for some reason they are wrong and I cannot reproduce the animation.

Thank you anyway.

See the Pen YzqqKzW by florencia-lapetina (@florencia-lapetina) on CodePen

I just found it, the parallax effect with gsap is what brings the problem. I will try to fix it. Thank you!

You can always place the image where you want it to end, use a "from" Tween for the parallax and clear that transformation at the end of the Tween. It will clear the inline transform applied to that element which should solve your issue.

• Like 1

Here I found the real problem, is the % in the duration of the scroll. I don't know now how to replace it but later I will see. If you have any idea it will be great. Thanks. 

// Cards Parallax
    var tl_parallax = new TimelineLite()
    .from( card.querySelector('.member-card-img'),  1, {x: (oddFlag%2? "5%":"-5%"), ease: Linear.easeOut}, 0);
    // Cards Parallax Scene
    var sceneCardsParallax = new ScrollMagic.Scene({
        triggerElement: card,
        duration: "70%",
        tweenChanges: true
    })

.setTween( tl_parallax )

We don't recommend using ScrollMagic. We highly recommend using ScrollTrigger which is the official GSAP scroll plugin. It has a sleeker API, a bunch of additional features, a smaller file size, and is actively maintained :) 

Additionally we recommend upgrading to GSAP 3 which is similarly way better:

• Like 1

Zack and the Official GSAP v3/ScrollTrigger Plug™️ to the rescue!

👍👍👍👍👍👍

• Like 1

Hi, just to be settled, I solved the problem by applying the will-change: transform property to the image.

Thanks.

• Like 1