Search Community

Is it possible to read the tween values at a specific time?

Ringo test
Moderator Tag

Go to solution Solved by Diaco,

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

For example:

I want to place some objects on the path of the tween for a graphical effects.

So I'll tween a target with x=0 to x=100, over 1 second. And then I want to read the X value at multiple different times, say at 0.2, 0.4, 0.6 and 0.8 seconds.

Is there a way to simply go: tween.read(.2) and have it return {x:20} or something like that?

I know I can use time() on the tween, then read the value, and the return the playhead to the original time, but that seems cumbersome.

Thanks for the reply Diaco, but it's not exactly what I'm after.

I was hoping to have something like this:

var tw = TweenMax.to(target, 10, {x:100});

tw.valuesAt(2);// {target:target, x:10}
tw.valuesAt(5);// {target:target, x:50}
tw.valuesAt(8);// {target:target, x:90}

I need to be able to read the values without reconstructing the tween.

Right now I fear I have to use .time() to set the target's value, then read them, then return .time() to what it was. All before I update my canvas. Which feels bulky. But I'll do that for now.

• Solution

hmm , how about something like this :

var Box = document.querySelector('.box');
var myTween = TweenLite.to(Box,2,{x:200});

function valuesAt(tween,P,time){
  var X={};  X[P]=0;
  TweenLite.to(X,tween._duration,tween.vars).seek(time).kill();
  return { target:tween.target , [P][P] };
};

console.log( valuesAt(myTween,'x',1) );   // Object { target: div.box, x: 150 }
 console.log( valuesAt(myTween,'x',1.5) ); // Object { target: div.box, x: 187.5 }
 console.log( valuesAt(myTween,'x',2) );   // Object { target: div.box, x: 200 }

• Like 1

Nice Diaco, to add to Diaco's great solution,

Another way (not as elegant as Diaco's example) is to also use an if statement inside a GSAP callback onUpdate:

See the Pen LpOLQe by jonathan (@jonathan) on CodePen

The below is just an example of checking the progress and then grabbing the transform property if that progress time is met. This solution can be used for any property of GSAP within an onUpdate

var $circle = document.getElementById("circle"),
    tl = TweenMax.to($circle, 4, {
       rotation: 360,
       x:400,
       onUpdateParams: ["{self}"], // passes the timeline instance of this tween
       onUpdate: function(tl) {

var tlt = tl.time().toFixed(2), // actual time with only two deciaml place
              tlp = tl.progress().toFixed(1); // actual progress of duartion with only one deciaml place

$("#time > span").html(tlt);

if (tlp == 0.5) { // half of duration 2 seconds since duration is 4 seconds above

// outputs the value of x in pixels
             $("#progress > span").html(tl.target._gsTransform.x.toFixed(0)+"px");
             // tl.target._gsTransform.x

}
       }
   });

tl.play();

TweenMax or TimelineMax onUpdate:

• onUpdate : Function - A function that should be called every time the animation updates (on every frame while the animation is active).
  • onUpdateParams : Array - An Array of parameters to pass the onUpdate function. For example, TweenLite.to(element, 1, {left:"100px", onUpdate:myFunction, onUpdateParams:[mc, "param2"]}); To self-reference the tween instance itself in one of the parameters, use "{self}", like: onUpdateParams:["{self}", "param2"].

http://greensock.com/docs/#/HTML5/GSAP/TweenMax/

I was just checking the progress of the duration. But you can check various ways inside the onUpdate using time() or progress() or totalTime()

Just my two cents! :)

• Like 1