Search Community

"Malformed assets"

flysi3000 test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

This isn't a GSAP question, but I was wondering if you guys had gotten this from a media agency before. Four of the six ads we sent over got kicked back from their QA (I'm assuming they're using DCM, since they're standard banners), and they reason they gave was: "One of your HTML5 assets is invalid and cannot be analyzed. Please correct any malformed assets and try again."

Have you guys seen this before? These ads are all based on the same code, so I don't understand why some of them passed and some failed QA. I've tried a bunch of stuff, like un-minifying the javascript, deleting comments that reference unused assets, but I really feel like I'm shooting in the dark here. I would have thought it was an issue with nested assets, or too many assets, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

We reached out to the ad ops guys for more clarification, but the media companies seem to have the sense of urgency of a slug, and I really want to get this resolved as quickly as possible.

Help!

• Like 1

Hey Johnathan - thanks for the response. I work for an ad agency, and I can't post code or assets because of our confidentiality policy. Even I'm able to genericize the code, that could make it hard to pinpoint what's breaking it in DCM, I would think.

For a little bit of backstory, we have two different executions in 3 sizes each. One of the executions was started by a vendor; I then started mine based on some of their early files, so they all share a lot of code. My banners access GSAP via a CDN (using https), while theirs load GSAP js files in local folders.

Two of the vendors' files are QA approved, and all the rest are giving that "malformed assets" error.

There are lots of inline <svg> code elements in the html; there's some pngs being 3d-transformed... but other than that, I can't think of what is different between the files that's generating that issue.

Could be some malformed SVG code.. especially if they have some attributes or tags that were generated from illustrator. Also i would make sure if the image is within the SVG tag, that it uses xlink:href instead of the src attribute. Also try viewing the source of the page through the browser sometimes malformed tags will comes up as red

• Like 2

Another thing you might want to check is if the SVG uses <style> tags. That will definetly throw an error in AdWords (don't know about DCM, but would hazard a guess they're pretty similar). URLs references inside the SVG also tend to cause headaches, like, when you are masking.

• Like 3

Also try viewing the source of the page through the browser sometimes malformed tags will comes up as red

Welp - turns out it might very straight-forward in the end - I looked at the page source in Firefox, and a couple of stray tags did indeed show up red. I'm hoping that's the end of my issues... Thanks @jonathan!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

I'm experiencing the same issue with banner ads submitted to DoubleClick:  One of your HTML5 assets is invalid and cannot be analyzed. Please correct any malformed assets and try again.

Of the 5 ads I've submitted, 3 of them use the GSAP CDN and jQuery - all animating SVG objects, of which I've removed the <style> tags and placed in an external CSS file.

@flysi3000 - I'm not finding any errors when inspecting the source in a browser.  Was your solution immediately evident?

Otherwise, I'd really appreciate any ideas here - as mentioned above, I'm just shooting in the dark with that very vague error message...

thanks!

Hi azuki,

Any chance of you posting some code at all? As you might appreciate, trying to imagine what _could_ be the malformed asset without anything to go on will be pretty hard.

If you strip out anything that you are not allowed to show and showed, would make a world of difference. If the SVG is exactly what you cannot show, how about making another one that you could share, checking to see if the error happens again and showing that one?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi. I ran into this same issue. The SVG is not "malformed", but it is in the eyes of Google. The validator does not catch it either. They did apologize to me and said they would add it to their online banner guide.

Jonathan was on the right track. You need both the xmlns and xmlns:xlink in your tag.

This "should" be valid:

<svg width="128" height="45" baseProfile="full" version="1.1">

This is what they are looking for (add the "xmlns" and "xmlns:xlink"):

<svg width="128" height="45" baseProfile="full" version="1.1" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink">

I hope that DCM updates their tool to be a little more descriptive when it comes to errors.

• Like 4

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
13 hours ago, DragonHeart said:

I am facing the same issue too , 

The HTML5 asset is malformed.

I have uploaded one of the files I will highly appreciate if someone can  guide me with the challenge.

html-CFD-300x250.zip

Looks like you're trying to upload source files from Google Web Designer instead of published files.  You should publish your files and then upload the final zip.

• 6 months later...

Posting because I found a solution that worked for me (and to also remind myself if I run into this in the future)

In my case, I was given some banners developed by someone else and they were using embedded HTML SVG's which had DUPLICATE style PROPERTY within a few instances of <svg> tags.

209856717_ScreenShot2018-06-14at10_09_15AM.png.75c82f4bbb7641b9e09b02df2268b12f.png

The solution was to merge the css styles into 1 property, see screenshots.

591222049_ScreenShot2018-06-14at10_09_57AM.thumb.png.0a6597e25b8cc5b99118b7d76049e8ea.png

That should make it work, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND that moving forward to run all banners through the GDC HTML5 Validator which would fire off an error if there are leftover problems.

https://h5validator.appspot.com/

Best of luck!

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I know this is an old thread but just wanted to add in another solution just in case someone else is running into this issue and none of the above solutions work out. For me, it was the "<use>" tag. Removing it got rid of the error. (I ended up recreating the SVG so it doesn't need that tag).

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Another update for this thread in case people come back here. GSAP DevTools will trigger a DCM Validator error. It's related to storageSession ... or ... comes up as a malformed SVG asset (perhaps one of the graphics in DevTools is missing one of the silly things mentioned in other places in this thread, like self-closing tags or declarations). I typically comment out DevTools on final packaging of files, but accidentally didn't and found this error. I'd imagine some folks are going to come across it.

Anywho, more documentation...

• Like 1