Search Community

DrawSVG Plugin : make layers visible or invisible in Object Tag

jstafford test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Hi, I was hoping to use the gsap DrawSVG plugin to make direct reference to ids used in my svg layers to make them visible and invisible. I use the object tage, i.e. no inline svg tag in my html to reference the svg. I know of other 3rd party apis that allow you to interact with the svg, Does GSAP's DrawSVG plugin support anything like this?

Please see codepen below. I was trying to show that the svg was external file reference in the object tag, but I am not sure this is the problem.

<object type="image/svg+xml" data="/quickloanconnect/resources/img/svg-layer-test.svg" id="svg">

</object>

viewBox="0 0 91.333 70.667" enable-background="new 0 0 91.333 70.667" xml:space="preserve">
<g id="Layer_1">
<text transform="matrix(1 0 0 1 -4.333 68.6665)" font-family="'TimesNewRomanPS-BoldMT'" font-size="100" id="first_date">13</text>
</g>
<g id="Layer_2">
<text transform="matrix(1 0 0 1 -4.333 68.6665)" font-family="'TimesNewRomanPS-BoldMT'" font-size="100">15</text>
</g>
</svg>

var svgObject = document.getElementById("svg");
var svgDoc = svgObject.contentDocument;

var layer1 = svgDoc.getElementById("first_date");//returns null when I select for id=first_date or id=Layer_1 from my svg? Why?  

tl.set(layer1, {autoAlpha:0});

as Carl mentioned :

unfortunately when using <object> you must load the svg from the same domain and this impossible to do on CodePen

btw this's a way to access obj tag contents , not inline svg !

another thing i see in your demo : pls define tl as Timeline or use TweenLite/Max .set() instead of tl .

don't forget to Make sure obj tag has loaded before . ( you can use window.onload function )
  • Like 1

Thanks Diaco. I know referencing external svg files is done by many instead of inline svg. Perhaps,my stack overflow question better illustrates my problem. This isn't really a GSAP question but any insight would be greatly appreciated. http://stackoverflow.com/questions/32928985/cant-getelementbyid-within-an-external-svg-file-using-object-tag