Search Community

HTML5 ads, animation or interactivity?

somnamblst test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

I wanted to start a discussion on the new opportunities that this rather sudden end to the Flash banner has inadvertantly created.

Putting my bias out there first. Coming from a long background of being the Rich Media/High Impact guru in my organization I really enjoy focusing more on interactivity. I have long felt that well thought out interactivity that invites interested users to explore within the ad unit is a more sophisticarted  way to approach ad building.

With Flash, just having multiple files bumped something as mundane as an XML slideshow into the higher priced Rich Media category.

Because HTML5 ads have to have multiple files, the formerly Rich Media has now become the norm. DCM's Enhanced Banners which all DCM users were upgraded to for free, can even have multiple clickthroughs.

Is anyone else itching to do sliders, swipers, parallax,  tabs and al lthe other cool things multiple files make possible?

How do we get marketing people up to speed on the possibilities when in some cases they just don't think like that. 

• Like 1

I also work mostly on the entertainment sector - Lots of video integration and expanding formats.

For my part, I see the potential to create great interactive ads and would love to do so but I always get shot down because of deadlines and lack of planning.

As far as I am concerned, there is very little limiting us on what we can achieve but there needs to be some sort of planning happening beforehand in order to achieve that.

To get marketing people up to speed, there is only one way. Show them something that has been done before or they will not bite. Once they do bite, the issue will be convincing the client to cough up the money for it and have the ability to actually share some content that can be used. Normally I get one poster (when working for films, for example) and that's it. We have to create a whole campaign out of that one poster. Which, obviously, gets updated by another poster with a whole new look/feel about three days prior to live date.

With functionality, you can prebuild in anticipation of being able to do something interactive. That is why when ever I have some free space while waiting on final approval I like to mess around making stuff. Notthing I can share on codepen because I use actual assets from previous campaigns  for look tone feel.

Dipscom they won't have to cough up mo' money if the interactivity doesn't officially make it Rich Media.

It would be cool if we had a place to showcase our fun stuff, without worrying about a brand manager or competitor stumbling on it.

FYI DCRM fairly recently came out with their version of the HTML5 IAB Filmstrip template. 

http://storage.googleapis.com/rich_media_gallery_public/templates/HTML5_IAB_Template_Filmstrip/preview.html