Search Community

Animating the transformOrigin

Gary test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Any chance transformOrigin tweening will be added to an upcoming release?  I have a bunch of uses for that if it were added.

The attached codepen is an example.  I wanted to rotate and move the phone simultaneously but couldn't.  To do that I would need to animate the position, rotation, and transformOrigin of the image at the same time.

Here's another example. I'd really like to Greensock-ize something like this, but that also requires animating the transform origin.

See the Pen bVgeBa by garyc (@garyc) on CodePen

• Like 1

This is actually a lot more complex than it may seem due to all the magic GSAP does under the hood to normalize behavior across browsers and manage transforms and offsets. Not impossible, but very tricky. And as far as I can tell, it'd be impossible to do without breaking existing code unless we create an entirely different special property for this sort of thing. That's less than ideal. 

Another factor is that this is a very uncommon request. If we kept hearing from people that they wanted to animate the origin, it'd help prove that it's worth us investing all the time into changing the current behavior (and adding the feature). I think I remember maybe one other person requesting it in the last 2 years. That doesn't mean it doesn't have value of course. But other enhancements would deliver more value to more people, so it's hard to justify putting those off to work on this very tricky change that almost nobody is asking for - see what I mean? Again, it's a totally valid request - I don't mean to diminish it at all. So it's pretty unlikely that we'll attack this change anytime soon. I wish we had a more positive answer for you :( But don't worry - we're hard at work trying to innovate and push things forward with the platform (as evidenced by the email that members got today, wink wink). 

• Like 3