Search Community

Will this Subforum be limited to GSAP in banners Ads or...?

Dipscom test
Moderator Tag

Go to solution Solved by Carl,

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

I think the reason why there isn't a general forum for banner creation is that too many people want to guard their secrets! Whereas with Front-End Devs, this is not the case, more people like CodePens and GitHub, open sourcing their work, which at the end of the day skills up an entire community rather than just a sole person. Hence why I've got banner templates on my GitHub too.

But yes, I'm in agreement with Dipscom, it would be great if we could use this Banner forum for things not related to GSAP, but still about banners. I often find theres very little information from Publishers and Clients who can't provide any technical help, but still want the world in terms of a banner.

• Solution

Hey Dipscom, 

Thanks for your question, totally valid. 

I am going to create a new post at the top of this forum to better clarify things.

We put this forum together fairly quickly to:

1. Prevent our GSAP API forum from becoming overcrowded with-banner industry questions that our staff and moderators weren't qualified to (or expected to) answer (myself included).
  2. Give our users a place to vent and help each other out, as like you said, there really isn't any other place to do it;)

I have to say that in a very short time, this forum has exceeded my expectations. Jack and I are both very happy to see folks like you, Joe, somnablast, ohem and others take charge and contribute with really helpful information. So, thank you all. 

I'll be back in a bit to post some guidelines. Stay tuned. In the meantime, feel free to ask whatever you want here. Doesn't have to be related to GSAP. 

Carl

ps. Diaco, sorry I didn't make this more clear earlier. Thanks for jumping in and defending the fort honorably!

• Like 6

I am very happy to hear that the GSAP team is happy to have us ( banner people XD ) here.

To me, it is pretty baffling that there isn't a place where you can exchange knowledge about banner workflow but I don't think it is because there are secrets to be kept... Actually, there are secrets to be be kept - one secret - the fact that one makes his living of banner ads.

The amount of times my friends and co-workers have giggled and made fun of me for improving my workflow or bothered to read the help files from the ad platforms is quite shocking.

In the end, it is cool to be a backend developer. It is cool to be a frontend developer, a digital animator, a digital designer. But say you make banners for a living and you managed to squeeze a transparent png dragon with animated fog and a paralax effect in a 300x600 with a 40kb limit and they'll laugh at you.

At least here, I'll be able to go nerdy full throtle and have people actually care.

There you go, vent over.

:D

• Like 5

Yep, all you hear is how much people hate ads.

I really had it bad, i worked for years for the publisher that bought Pointroll in 2005. I got to make lots of those uber annoying pre-expandables (Bad Boys), and uber annoying expand on rollover panels (Fat Boys). But at least with Rich Media I got to have multiple files, and could use PHP for forms, xml for slideshows, and because I trafficked my own third party tags, no one but me, knew my k weight, though i self policed. 

But because I worked for a Pub, I also was making custom HTML ads as tags, way before the demise of Flash. I made a sweet frequency capped, auto close pushdown with jquery, with a UI that knew whether you had seen it already.