Search Community

Uncaught Cannot tween a null target. Draggable bug?

Sahil test
Moderator Tag

Go to solution Solved by GreenSock,

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

I was going through documentation and tried Draggable library and found a possible bug? But seems impossible to stay undetected. I thought I should report it.

So if element passed to Draggable doesn't exist it throws error and javascript stops working as well. Are we suppose to make sure element exists and then create Draggable object?

See the Pen meyagj by Sahil89 (@Sahil89) on CodePen

Generally, yes, it's a bad idea to create a Draggable on an element that doesn't exist. However, I did add some code in the upcoming release that should alleviate this scenario where you pass in selector text that has no results. You can try it out with the [uncompressed] beta version: https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/s.cdpn.io/16327/Draggable-latest-beta.js

• Like 3

• Solution

As for your pageX/pageY thing, that looks like a problem with jQuery and is completely unrelated to GreenSock code. You can tap into our code like this:

Draggable.create(".draggable", {
    onClick: function(e) {
      console.log("clicked at ", e.pageX, e.pageY);
    }
});

As for determining which element is on top, you could compare the zIndex of the elements. That's not something Draggable does for you in hitTest(). 

• Like 1