Search Community

What's the deal with Gzip?

flysi3000 test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

So, can I deliver banner files gzipped? I have an ad that we converted with Swiffy; it looks amazing, and right there, in the Swiffy output window, it shows the file size of the banner as 88k -- but it's the gzipped file size. The raw file size of the html when I download it, is 346k. 

I'm pretty sure I can use gzipped files in Doubleclick, but what about other media people/publishers? Anyone have experience with this?

gzip is a server-side technology. It's not something you do.

You typically upload regular files, the server compresses them with gzip, sends the gzipped (smaller) version to the browser and the browser un-compresses them.

For instance, when you load TweenMax from the CDN, it is gzipped to 34kb. That is how much is downloaded. The browser then unzips it and it becomes a 100kb file as shown in this screen shot of the network inspector in Chromes' dev tools:

1arj7OU.png

Swiffy is a Google product primarily endorsed by DoubleClick. It's my understanding they actually use swiffy behind the scenes to automatically convert some basic Flash banners to HTML5.

From what I've heard it is common for the output to be larger than the swf but it does a fairly decent job of maintaining the animation and visual integrity of the swf.

I really have no idea how other networks or publishers expect Swffy exports to be delivered. Technically they should not be inherently different than other HTML5 ads. At the end of the day you are still dealing with an html file and some javascript. It is fairly common for a network to request that all your files are zipped (not gzipped) prior to delivery as it is the best way to:

1- keep all files together

2- get an idea of what the compressed size of the ad is.

I wish I had more concrete advice. 

• Like 2

Okay, I think I get it. Sounds like there's no conclusive answer on whether other networks accept gzipped files, right? I know GWD gzips files behind the scenes (https://support.google.com/richmedia/answer/6261897?hl=en), but I'm guessing that must be a DoubleClick thing.

I guess I will operate under the assumption that that's not a viable way of delivering files.

So the epilogue of this story is don't worry about gzipping your files. If you're using Swiffy, go by whatever the gzipped file size is, because that's how the ads are served, specifically by DoubleClick, but also by other ad servers. It's best to check if that's how your ad server is counting file size from the outset, just to be sure.