Search Community

Scrollmagic performance on mobile

martis test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Hey guys,

Wanted to see if anyone out there using scrollmagic experienced some performance issues on mobile devices (iOS) on flick when controlling a timeline using duration.

When I drag the page it tracks really well, but when I flick the page I get a lot of stutter and lost frames.

Wondering if its scrollmagic or how iOS updates the page on "flick".

Has anyone had success with any library doing scroll animations on iOS?

Thanks!

Hi and sorry for the late answer,

Considering what you're describing, basically that has to do with browser rendering and the device's hardware having a really rough time with that amount of data to process in such short time, as flicks tend to be very fast and can scroll a lot of content.

Take this site for example and see it using a desktop/laptop:

http://journey.lifeofpimovie.com/

If you drag the scroll bar really fast you'll notice something similar to what you're experiencing in your site right now. The problem is that the browser has to calculate, paint and render pixels as you scroll and GSAP is animating stuff via scrollmagic's controller. In a device, regardless of how powerfull it could be, the hardware doesn't have the power to do all of that, so basically you'll get some weird updates of your content.

One option I can think of is try with lagSmoothing() in order to see if there's any difference in that scenario.

http://greensock.com/gsap-1-12-0

Let us know if you need anything else.

• Like 1

Rodrigo,

Thanks for the detailed reply. I feared it was a browser/cpu issue.

I can't wait for the day when performance concerns are a thing of the past!

I've really only had success by wrapping everything in a Draggable() object, but this can't always be the method I use...

I'll give lagSmoothing() a shot and let you guys know.

Thanks!