Search Community

Vote on new feature for staggered animations

Carl test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

API Proposal for Stagger-based tweens  

31 members have voted

1. 1. What should we name this new feature

• alt
    • cycle
    • other (please specify in thread)

We will be adding a new feature to stagger-based tweens that allows you to specify different values for each tween that is generated. You can provide an Array of values or use a function with custom logic that returns a value. We have proposed a few names to our trusted advisers and 2 rose to the top. Please vote!

You can see this feature in action here:

• Like 9

I voted alt at first, but then I watched the video (which was great btw Carl, I love that you didn't edit out the curly-bracket mistake). When you mentioned rule, I kinda thought that fit better as you are defining the rules in which the Tweens should behave.

tl;dr: alt or rule, doesn't matter! Its a cool feature!

• Like 4

Thanks, Jonathan.

I think you mean you can cycle through various easing values ;)

Just so folks know, you can use this feature for callbacks (so some tweens might call a different function onComplete) and any other property or special property. 

• Like 1

Haha Carl :rolleyes: , i like rule  too but i always think of the rule set declared in CSS, but that's just me

but just to clarify when i think of alt i think of alternative values, not alternate, but like joe_midi said its a cool feature!

I almost voted for cycle  after hearing you use it in a sentence in the video Carl, .. but i had already voted and was committed :blink:

Because these collections of property/values (or a function returning values) are each passed to a method in succession it reminds me a lot of the PHP array_walk function. How about "walk"? Or "loop"?

"alt" or "alternate", to me (depending on pronunciation), means flip-flopping between to values or providing a fallback.

Hi,

I'm leaning towards cycle, because is what basically this feature does.

I agree with Shaun in terms of loop, but loop is already quite used in JS, not as 'loop', but people refers to loops in the form of for, for in, $.each, while, do while, etc. and I believe it would be easier for users to have a more specific word for this like cycle.

Finally is kind of sad to see Carl making those mistakes, it basically means that He's just human (insert Matrix agents here)  :geek:

• Like 3

Wow, alt is getting crushed by cycle. Good job folks. 

In troubled times my allies shall be remembered fondly. 

-- Rodrigo, the mistakes were all a ruse to convince people I'm not just another of Jack's wild creations. I fear I've said too much...

• Like 1

This feature will probably not be ready for another week or two. 

It was a surprise addition to the roadmap for version 1.17.1 and we've got a number of other pressing priorities. 

We're doing our best to get it out as quickly as we can. Stay tuned!

• Like 1

This feature will probably not be ready for another week or two. 

It was a surprise addition to the roadmap for version 1.17.1 and we've got a number of other pressing priorities. 

We're doing our best to get it out as quickly as we can. Stay tuned!

carl, is it possible to see you guys development roadmap :) :) Im sure its not but i thought id ask anyway :)

Hey Dwayne,

Glad you like the new feature. 

When we reach out to the community with sneak peeks like this, that's about as much of our future plans as we expose. 

Wish we could tell more about what is to come but its difficult to estimate the timing of these things and if we say we're working on something and then need to shift gears to something else, it just leaves folks disappointed. We prefer if everyone is joyfully surprised;)

• Like 2