Search Community

Animation on the Espruino

FlashDev2007 test
Moderator Tag

Go to solution Solved by OSUblake,

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

I have been using GSAP products for many years. Recently I started to play around with a JS interpreted board called the Espruino. As this little board doesn't have a native browser, it doesn't have access to a window object or a DOM.

I have a series of LED lights attached to this board and I can set any RGB colour value to any of the lights, I thought ah yes I could do some crazy animations using one of the GSAP libraries.

I tried to add the library to my code but unfortunately there were too many obstacles, firstly the linting on the device is rather strict and it complained about lots of missing semi-colons at the end of functions. So I thought yeah I could spend time adding these and get around this, but then TweenMax for example expects window to be passed in to the library.

So what I am asking is, are there any plans to have a version which doesn't incorporate any DOM related code and is purely a value driven animation library? I suspect in the future there will be many other devices that can run JS that don't have a window based DOM, but may benefit from interpolation and animation of values to drive the connected devices.

Thanks for the reply, I had already looked at the post you mentioned prior to posting my own topic. I cannot use TweenMax because of the limited memory on the Espruino. I think I could get away with just TweenLite, but the way you described using TweenMax don't seem to apply to TweenLite.

Any ideas how to use TweenLite as a module?

Thanks again, I see the check for module.exports but I am not sure how I can use this as a module with the Espruino.

I'm using TweenLite from https://github.com/greensock/GreenSock-JS/blob/master/src/uncompressed/TweenLite.js  I require the TweenLite module in the terminal using node here is what I get:

> var gsap = require('./gsap.js');

> gsap

[Function] version: '1.10.1', API: 2, activate: [Function] }

How do I access functions of TweenLite from this gsap var?

I cannot seem to get my Espruino to recognise the module, once I get it working in node I will post on the Espruino forums for help getting it working in their environment.

Thanks for your time here.

• Solution

That looks like the TweenPlugin, so you're close. Do you see in anything related to GreenSock on the global object, like GreenSockGlobals or com.greensock?

And did you try adding this to the end of the file? That should export TweenLite and be the value of gsap on your require.

module.exports = TweenLite;
  • Like 1