Search Community

how to emulate a motion tracked sign or card

johnleigh test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

hi guys

I spent some time looking about at various FLAR libraries and similar regards how I might "motion track" say a hand held card in a video and add text or image or video - so that I can add something different on the card or sign.

But its a tough area beyond my coding abilities so instead I wonder about creating a similar approach without proper motion tracking data - just manually create some tweened object transforms that follow a card im holding in a video - wonder if anyone out there might suggest an approach or two on how I could match up some GSAP CSS transforms of an object(image,text,video etc) to a video ?

love to hear any thoughts on this manual approach

many thanks!

john leigh London UK

Hi and welcome to the GreenSock forums,

This is certainly beyond my area of expertise, however, Chris Gannon has done quite a bit of work with interactive, motion-tracked video.

Definitely, read and watch the posts he made here: http://blog.gannon.tv/category/motion-tracking/ (check older posts too).

Not so sure there is an easy or quick way for what you want to do, nor if GSAP is really going to help speed up production. My guess is that there is going to be some pain-staking coordinate mapping and recording if you hope to match up a GSAP animation with something going on in video. However, I don't think its entirely possible. I think the key is going to be finding tools that allow you to work with both video and JS in the same environment OR output a set of coordinates that you can plug into some tweens.