Search Community

Mouse pointer interaction

anteksiler test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

• 1 month later...

I'm new here.  I'm also interested in "When the mouse is hovering near- or moving toward- something"  ( not onHover event ).  Like, as mouse moves toward the nearest H2 heading, the text does a subtle stagger animation.  I'm not a professional coder, I just learned the difference between Pointer events, Mouse events and Touch events recently.  I know it's possible to learn and code this with javascript and jQuery by hand, but I'm hoping someone has made it easier already.  Does anyone have some examples, mouse-watching without click-triggering

Hi stevenha :) , welcome to the GreenSock forum .

actually we have to keep our support focused on GSAP api .

anyway , you can try something like this :

var elem = document.getElementById('myDiv') ,
    elemBCR = text.getBoundingClientRect();

document.addEventListener('mousemove',function(e){
  var X = e.pageX-elemBCR.left , Y = e.pageY-elemBCR.top ;
  var Distance = Math.sqrt( X*X + Y*Y );
  console.log( Distance );
  if( Distance < 250 ){ /*  your tween or whatever  */ };
});
  • Like 1

Hi @stevenha

Instead of doing a calculation on every mouse move, you can put an HTML or SVG element inside a transparent container, and then set that container to handle events. This will trigger the event when you are within a set proximity of the element. Look at how the blue circle starts to animate before you are hovering over the actual point.

See the Pen OyJVzN by osublake (@osublake) on CodePen

• Like 2

stevenha here are some resources you might find useful for hover events in javascript:

Difference between mouseenter  vs mouseover .. or ... between mouseleave  vs mouseout .. is that mouseenter  and mouseleave  do not use event bubbling, and act similar to the CSS psuedo-class :hover

Types of events:

http://www.quirksmode.org/js/events_mouse.html

http://javascript.info/tutorial/mouse-events

:)

• Like 3