Search Community

Greensock for banners

banners test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

We've reached out to a lot of the top rich media vendors including google since flash-megeden for information and what we are hearing is that even files from a CDN are still counted towards total K weight from at least half the publishers. While its still the wild west out there, with a big media buy we can't risk ads getting kicked back and I calculate GSAP at 70K towards total K weight. Some publishers are still giving us 40K limits- even if we could get 100K (which converts to a rich media buy), it may not be a viable option to use GSAP. Could anyone provide a little clarity on this? Is 70K accurate?

It's definitely the wild-wild west out there when it comes to the banner world, which (as I'm sure you know) is scrambling because of Chrome's and Firefox's decision to block (well, not play) Flash content until the user interacts with it. There will be an overdue stampede to HTML5 in the ad space for sure. We're aiming to help. 

We're in contact with some heavy-hitters in the industry (literally, the people who define specs) and we have reason to believe the specs will be adjusted soon. Well, "soon" is a relative term I suppose - I don't know when it'll happen, but there is definitely urgency in the industry that should force it soon. 

It's absurd to hold HTML5 banners to the same specs as compiled SWFs that leveraged a 4MB+ runtime engine. There are a bunch of common needs and boilerplate stuff across all ads, particularly when it comes to an animation engine which makes it so logical for the ad industry to standardize on something like GSAP and not count its file size against the budget. After all, they didn't count the size of the Flash Player against Flash ads. 

I can say for sure that ad.com/advertising.com/AOL has TweenMax on its CDN and doesn't count its file size against you. I think their network reaches like 90%+ of the entire internet. We heard that Google/Doubleclick has adopted the same stance with GSAP (not counting GSAP's file size against you), but we haven't gotten official confirmation of that yet. It's surprisingly difficult to get hard specs from anyone. There's conflicting info out there. That's why we're trying to gather some info in our survey at http://greensock.com/banner-survey (please take it if you haven't yet). We'll take that data and share it with some industry leaders and write about some of our conclusions. Obviously our goal is to help GSAP be an industry standard which I think would help both ad networks and the creative folks who design and build the banners. 

To answer your specific question, no, TweenMax is not even close to 70k. gzipped and minified it's closer to 30k last time I checked. Keep in mind that it has tons of tools in there (TweenLite, CSSPlugin, TimelineLite, TimelineMax, DirectionalRotationPlugin, AttrPlugin, BezierPlugin, TweenMax, and EasePack). You can easily chop down size if you must, by using only TweenLite and maybe CSSPlugin and/or EasePack and/or TimelineLite (depending on your needs). 

We have thought about creating an even smaller version that mashes together TweenLite and pieces of CSSPlugin, but that probably doesn't make much sense when you consider how relatively small TweenMax is and how easily CDNs and browser caching can be leveraged to make the file size hit a non-issue. Adobe created Flash Lite a while back and it was a total flop - it's just too annoying to try to remember all the missing features that were sacrificed on the file size alter. I think the community would benefit a lot more from just having the networks drop TweenMax on the CDN. That way, there's only a "cost" the first time someone loads a single ad...from that point on, it's basically free. Zero file size hit. 

Sorry for the long-winded answer. Hopefully that addresses at least some of your concerns. We'd love for more folks in the community to tell the banner ad networks and publishers how important it is to standardize on a tool like GSAP. Better ads, more freedom, better performance, faster production, etc. 

• Like 2

Thanks for the response. I was downloading tweenlite, easing and cssplugin minified and counting the folder size, I see gzipped from CDN its 27K. Unfortunately what I think is happening is that publishers and vendors see this as an opportunity to throw all display ads to rich media bucket for higher rates and static images are the new standards. Developers seem to be caught in the middle.