Search Community

3d transform not working in Firefox

agvtt77_0x066fda test
Moderator Tag

Go to solution Solved by GreenSock,

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Hi there,

I can't get rotationY to work on an svg in firefox. I've attached my codepen url. I'm trying to rotate the propeller on the submarine.

Works fine in chrome. I've tried adding perspective to parent elements as suggested in other posts. Tried disabling gsap and doing it via css and this seemed to work ok.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Dean

EDIT: doesn't appear to be working on IE11 either (tested only with virtualbox)

See the Pen KpozjM by meandillar (@meandillar) on CodePen

• Solution

Nope, not a bug. The SVG spec doesn't support 3D. The only reason the older version of GSAP appeared to work was because it was using CSS transforms instead of the transform attribute but the problem with that is there are several browser rendering bugs in various scenarios. In fact, we discovered that it wasn't just Firefox - Safari had several odd issues too. Weird ones, like if you tweened the opacity of an SVG element that also had css transforms, then z-index compositing got funky. So we switched to defaulting to using the official SVG "transform" attribute instead of using CSS transforms which delivered much more consistent behavior across browsers. 

So again, it's not a bug in GSAP - the SVG spec itself doesn't support 3D so I wouldn't recommend trying that. I wish I had better news for you. 

• Like 1