Search Community

Following up on will-change

Wix Wow!Team test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Hi, following up on a year old topic 

http://greensock.com/forums/topic/9790-will-change-property/

The will-change property is getting some traction lately, it is supported by 3 out of the 5 major browsers and is considered by MS Edge.

I was wandering if any work or research was done about adding support (manual or automatic) to GSAP for this?

A nice video demo by a google dev demonstrating the performance implications will-change can have:

Thanks

Tom B.

Hi Tom,

Great to see you. Hope you are well.

Thanks for the will-change video. Yeah, we've been hearing about will-change for awhile now but we have not yet done any formal testing. 

I recall hearing that each browser will most likely handle things differently (no surprise) and decide which optimizations it will apply and when. 

I think it will be at least a few months before you see any sort of support in GSAP. Its too much of a moving target and we have a ton of other new features in the works. However, I'm hoping we can run some small tests and get some sense of the implications and what GSAP might be able to do to automate things (if anything). 

If you have any experience with will-change or come across any comparison demos please let us know.

Carl