Search Community

TimelineLight Limits

PsiG test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Hi,

Can you tell me what the limitations are for adding tweens to a TimelineLite timeline?

Are there ways of building up a feature length animation using GSAP?

Cheers,
Graeme

Hi and welcome to the GreenSock forums.

There are literally no practical limitations to TimelineLite. You can add 10s of thousands of tweens to a timeline GSAP will be able to execute all the JavaScript and maintain precision timing.

The bottleneck is going to be how well the hardware can render the visual changes to the screen. There are lots of variables involved: CPU, GPU, screen resolution, DOM, WebGL, canvas, size of visual assets, screen redraw area, opacity, drop-shadows, complex SVG etc etc.

I wish I had a straight answer for you.

I'm confident in this, if you start experimenting I'm sure you will be impressed by what the tools can do.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again,

We seem to be running into performance problems when trying to build our timelines. I would like to add somewhere in the region of 3 million tweens  :-D  Are there any practical steps or best practices I should follow to do this efficiently so the user isn't waiting too long to see the animation?

Cheers,
G

Without knowing any details about your project I can only suggest that you find a way to batch executions – only create tweens when you need them and get rid of ones you don't need after they are done playing. 

I would be interested in hearing more about what you are doing. Are you using DOM, canvas? Why do you need 3 million tweens?

Do these animations play well? is the slow down only when the timelines are being generated?

Hi Carl,

Long story! We're trying to produce an animation from a model running in a simulation engine. It throws out events (state changes which we would convert to tweens) in a long list which we then feed into a timeline to do a post-simulation playback visualization. Its all part of a spike to see if we could display results of the simulation online.

It seems that once the timeline is processed/created, playback control is effortless so if we can figure out how to speed that up, GSAP would be a good option for us.

Happy to share more details offline :-)