Search Community

How to hide elements so they aren't visible before animation is triggered

jackb87 test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Hi, 

Just getting started and this is probably a very easy answer but I haven't been able to turn up anything so far. 

I'm trying to create a very simple animation of a site's logo on page load like so:

TweenMax.from(".logo-svg", 1, {y:-100, scale:0.85, opacity: 0, delay: 2});

However, as the script is being loaded last at the bottom of the page, the logo is flashing up for a second before the animation is triggered. 

I know I could stop this by setting the opacity of the logo to 0 in the css, then use TweenMax.to instead, but the .from method is much more intuitive to build the animation with (especially as I want to chain a few more animations on).

Is there a simple solution to hide the element before the animation's triggered? I've tried playing round with immediateRender but it doesn't seem to have any effect. 

Thanks in advance,
Jack

PS sorry for lack of code pen but I wasn't sure it'd be too useful given the query is more to do with the order of assets loading. 

Hi jackb87  :)

try this 

set opacity:0; with css and then :

// if you'r using just Tweens , they will start at same time :
TweenMax.from(".logo-svg", 1, {y:-100,scale:0.85,delay:2});
TweenMax.to(".logo-svg", 1, { opacity:1 delay:2 });

// if you'r using a Timeline :
var Timeline = new TimelineMax();
Timeline.from(".logo-svg", 1, { y:-100,scale:0.85 })
        .to(".logo-svg", 1, { opacity:1 }, 0 ) // this tween'll start at 0 , with first tween at same time 
  • Like 2

Thanks again Diaco.AW! I'll give that a try. 

Just another quick one regarding this animation i'm trying to get going. Here is a codepen to make things easier -

See the Pen pJJNxm%C2%A0 by bilbs87 (@bilbs87) on CodePen

You'll notice the second part of the animation I have the lines animating in. I'd like them to expand from the centre instead of from the left. Should I be using a different property than scale to achieve this? I tried playing around with transform origin but didn't have any luck. Thanks!

Yup, Diaco's way will certainly work fine.

Another approach is to give the element css of visibility:hidden; and then in your animation tween from autoAlpha:0 like:

TweenLite.from("svg", 3, {autoAlpha:0, delay:2})

I set the delay to 2 so that you can see that the svg does not flash or appear until the tween kicks in.

http://codepen.io/GreenSock/pen/mJJRLv?editors=011

autoAlpha will automatically set  visibility:inherit and tween from an opacity of 0.

A benefit of setting visibility:hidden over opacity:0 is that the element will not respond to mouse events before it appears.

When I'm working on a larger animation with many elements that need to fade in over time, I will typically use css to set visibility:hidden on the DOM element that is the parent of all those elements and then when my JavaScript executes just use a set like:

//css
#container {
  visibility:hidden;
}

//first line of js code
TweenLite.set("#container", {visibility:"visible"});
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

Yep that's exactly what I was after - thanks so much guys for the fast and extremely helpful replies. It's easy to get bogged down with these little things when you're starting out and you've certainly saved me some grey hairs - very grateful. Cheers!

• 11 months later...
  • 2 years later...

me too. Great solve. Tried so many other things and I kept getting some larger jpg's loading while the animation had already started. I am using jquery which normally resolves this but I think the extra large jpgs were loading but not fully rendering. Not sure but this approach seems to have fixed it.