Search Community

draggable y following mouse when draggable type is "x"

erikb test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

says .y returns "The current y (vertical) position of the Draggable instance."

However, my codepen shows that when you use a Draggable with type x, the resultant y values during a drag do not return the current y position of the draggable, but rather something closer to the relative y position of the mouse.

What should I do differently here?

See the Pen jEgBWQ by jedierikb (@jedierikb) on CodePen

I think you may just be misunderstanding what "y" means in this context. From the docs:

...it would be the y transform translation, as in the csstransform:translateY(...)

Remember, translation is always relative to where the element sits naturally in the document flow. Think of it as an offset of sorts. 

Furthermore, if your Draggable is only managing "x", I wouldn't expect it to also be updating "y" (although in this case it does). 

• Like 1

Thanks Jack.  

I am trying to synchronize the movement of other elements on a drag, and the draggable who leads the pack might be of type "x", "y", or "x,y".  As you can see, I got snagged when I started moving things around with only an "x" -- the rest of the Blue Angels flew away in another direction :-)

Not to be contentious, but in the documentation in the bit you cited, that passage begins by saying "So for a Draggable of type:"x,y", it would be the y transform translation, as in the csstransform:translateY(...)"  

In the case of draggable type "x", I would expect the first sentence in the documentation to be honored -- "The current y (vertical) position of the Draggable instance".

Also, if it is of interest, the .y value jumps to where I would expect it to be onThrowUpdate

See the Pen PwMpeB by jedierikb (@jedierikb) on CodePen