Search Community

Sprite animation plugin for TweenMax

spalt08 test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Hello! 

I didn't find any sprite animation plugin for TweenMax and decide to write my own :) I hope it will be useful for somebody. 

Github link
Demo here

I apologize in advance for the quality of the code, this is my first attempt :) 

I will be glad to hear comments and suggestions from GSAP masters and all community.

Diaco is a resident expert here, and I agree that SteppedEase is a great solution for sprite sheet animation. I just wanted to chime in and say thanks for sharing your alternate solution and please don't hesitate to try your hand at other plugins in the future. I know what it's like to attempt something and not be 1000% confident it's EXACTLY what everyone else would like/want, and worry that I may look dumb for missing some other solution, but trust me - it's good to put your solutions out there and keep pressing forward. Don't be shy around here. 

• Like 2

Hello Diaco and GreenSock!

Hi spalt08  :)

Good job , but seems you need to spend more time to discover all of GSAP power / solutions  .

Since we have SteppedEase , there's so simpler way to have Sprite sheet animations .

I use SteppedEase inside my plugin  :) 
Output of the plugin method - simple TweenMax SteppedEase animation

It is just a wrapper to make code clear and shorter :)

it's good to put your solutions out there and keep pressing forward

Thanks! I really appreciate your feedback  :)

• Like 1

This is cool!

After looking at it, I'm wondering how hard it would be to integrate a Spine animation to create more complex animations, like with bones.

Demo

http://esotericsoftware.com/files/runtimes/spine-as3/spineboy/

Looks interesting!

Here it is with JavaScript using canvas - https://github.com/EsotericSoftware/spine-runtimes/blob/master/spine-js/spine.js   :)

If i would have enough time afterwards I think I will try to make it using TweenMax

Wow... that's a lot of code!

I don't know if you would have to use a runtime because GSAP can do the interpolation. And if you look at the JSON data, most of those properties could easily be converted into a GSAP equivalent (for DOM elements at least).

Sample Data

https://github.com/EsotericSoftware/spine-runtimes/blob/master/spine-turbulenz/example/data/goblins.json

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

@spalt08, I am curious. I see that a few have suggested using the SteppedEase approach, but what if a single Sprite animation has various loop segments in a single sprite? For instance, a sprite animation might have a walk cycle, run cycle and maybe another cycle. Which can be defined and looped individually. I am not sure how to do that using the SteppedEase approach. Perhaps your plugin could solve this problem?

Hello awinhayden

You will notice that the y value in my background-position (backgroundPosition) in my tweens are a static value of 0.

So you can still use the SteppedEase approach if you have only one sprite-sheet.

If you have say 2 different sprite animations on one image sprite-sheet, you can make it a horizontal sprite image. And then on the first row have the walk cycle and on the second row of the sprite-sheet have the run cycle. Then depending on which cycle you will be animating you would change the background-position-y for the background-position shorthand property, which would be the second value. Swapping that with a variable to be the background-position y position / value for the second row or first row of the sprite sheet.

background-postion: x y;

Happy Tweening :)

• Like 2