Search Community

onComplete not firing when using updateTo on onUpdate

Ghelle test
Moderator Tag

onComplete not firing when using updateTo on onUpdate. if I remove updateTo line onComplete is triggered as it should.

private function fingerLoop():void 
{
  TweenMax.to(finger, 1, { x:gotoPlanet.x, y:gotoPlanet.y, onComplete:fingerLoop, onUpdate:moveFinger, onUpdateParams:["{self}", gotoPlanet] });
}

private function moveFinger(tween, gotoPlanet):void 
{
  tween.updateTo({x:gotoPlanet.x, y:gotoPlanet.y}, false);
}

We recommend that you do not use updateTo() on values that are constantly changing. http://greensock.com/asdocs/com/greensock/TweenMax.html#updateTo()

Instead you should use DynamicPropsPlugin http://greensock.com/asdocs/com/greensock/plugins/DynamicPropsPlugin.html which is a bonus plugin for Club GreenSock memebers. You can learn more here http://greensock.com/club/ (choose "Flash" from menu in "What you Get" section).

I verified that onComplete will work with the following code using DynamicPropsPlugin

import com.greensock.TweenLite; 
import com.greensock.plugins.*; 
TweenPlugin.activate([DynamicPropsPlugin]); //activation is permanent in the SWF, so this line only needs to be run once.
TweenLite.to(mc, 1, {dynamicProps:{x:getMouseX, y:getMouseY}, onComplete:someFunction});

function getMouseX():Number {
    return this.mouseX;
}
function getMouseY():Number {
        return this.mouseY;
} 

function someFunction() {
trace("done");
}

So I'm sure it will work for you. Just use gotoPlanet.x instead of mouse coordinates.

I also did see the code you provided did not fire the onComplete as you explained. I am not sure if this is a bug (it might be, but we won't be able to verify that right away) or whether its the reason we do not recommend using updateTo() in this fashion. Again, updateTo() is intended only to be used sparingly and DynamicProps was created exactly for this type of scenario.

• 9 months later...

I had the same problem. I was using updateTo on values that were constantly changing and my onComplete didn't fire. I fixed it by giving my tween a variable name and then tweening it's time like this:

TweenMax.to(myTween,duration,{time:duration,onComplete:myOnComplete});

I may still join Club GreenSock at some point though. Quick question, if I buy a single developer annual Business Green membership for $150 and decide to upgrade it to a permanent license within that same year, can I pay $600 instead of $750?