Search Community

Possible to know if throw will happen onDragEnd?

jomifo test
Moderator Tag

Go to solution Solved by GreenSock,

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Hello-

When using Draggable with throwProps enabled, Is it possible to know if a throw will happen during the onDragEvent?

My end goal is that I would not perform certain actions if the target was thrown.

Thanks.

Hi jomifo  :)

you can call your Fn with " onThrowUpdate " &  " onThrowComplete " , and set the throw duration with " minDuration " and " maxDuration " in Draggable Vars .

pls read the GSAP Draggable Doc. : http://greensock.com/docs/#/HTML5/Drag/Draggable/

and try this :

Draggable.create("#box", {
  throwProps: true,
  onDragStart: function() {  console.log("DragStart")  },
  onDrag: function() {  console.log("Dragging")  },
  onDragEnd: function() {  console.log("DragEnd")  },
  onThrowUpdate: function() {  console.log("ThrowUpdate")  },
  onThrowComplete: function() {  console.log("ThrowComplete")  }
});

• Solution

To add to Diaco's great advice, you can also check the Draggable's endX and endY and compare them to the x and y to see if they're beyond a certain threshold that you decide, and if not, just kill() the tween. For example (untested, theoretical code):

Draggable.create("#box", {
    throwProps: true,
    onDragEnd: function() {
        var tolerance = 5; //make this whatever you want (minimum throw distance).
        if (Math.abs(this.endX - this.x) < tolerance && Math.abs(this.endY - this.y) < tolerance) {
            this.tween.kill(); //didn't "throw" hard enough.
        } else {
            //throwing! Do something here...
        }
    }
});

Another option is to set the minDuration super low, and then you can just check this.tween.duration() and if it's below a certain threshold, you know it didn't get thrown very hard and you can kill() it. There are other options too, but I don't want to overwhelm you :)

• Like 3

Thanks Jack, I didn't read the docs thoroughly enough- using endX and endY solves my use case perfectly.  I think I was presuming Greensock would not even instantiate a throw tween if the movement was so minuscule and because of that there would be a higher-level api abstraction that could be called in onDragEnd to determine if Greensock triggered the throw or not.  But doing the calculations with endX, endY works for me.