Search Community

Motion path with rotation

AntB90 test
Moderator Tag

Hey,

I'm having a play with TweenMax creating a solar system in which as you would expect the planets orbit the sun and rotate on their own axis as they do this.

Having each of the planets orbit the sun is the easy bit and works exactly as I want but i'm trying to come up with an elegant way of having each planet rotate a set amount of times on it's own axis during it's journey around the sun (the speed of each rotation would be determined by the amount of time given for the orbit). e.g. The Earth rotates on it's own axis 365 times (approx) per orbit of the sun. Is it possible to achieve something like this using TweenMax?

Hope this makes sense :)

var orbitalPath:CirclePath2D = new CirclePath2D(320, theSun.y, currentTarget.distanceFromSun);

var pathFollower:PathFollower = orbitalPath.addFollower(currentTarget, orbitalPath.angleToProgress(currentTarget.rotation), true);

TweenMax.to(pathFollower, (currentTarget.orbitalPeriod *100), {progress:orbitalPath.followerTween(pathFollower, 360, Direction.CLOCKWISE), repeat:-1, ease:Linear.easeNone});

TweenMax.to(currentTarget, 5, {rotation:360, repeat:-1, ease:Linear.easeNone});

HI and welcome to the GreenSock forums.

Not really sure, but it sounds like you may need to have currentTarget follow the path, and have a child inside currentTarget that you rotate separately, sort of like:

TweenMax.to(currentTarget.globe, 5, {rotation:360, repeat:-1, ease:Linear.easeNone});

Hey,

I hope my question made sense (it was a bit difficult to explain).

Putting .globe after currentTarget gives me the following error: TypeError: Error #1009: Cannot access a property or method of a null object reference.

What I'm trying to accomplish is having an object follow a path (which I've done) but also make that object rotate on it's own axis a set number of times (the amount of times it rotates will control the speed in which each rotation must be done).

here is some code and an Flash CC 2014 fla

import com.greensock.*;
import com.greensock.plugins.*;
import com.greensock.motionPaths.*;
TweenPlugin.activate([CirclePath2DPlugin])
var circle:CirclePath2D = new CirclePath2D(150, 150, 100);

TweenLite.to(mc, 6, {circlePath2D:{path:circle, startAngle:0, endAngle:360, direction:Direction.COUNTER_CLOCKWISE, extraRevolutions:1}});
TweenLite.to(mc.globe, 6, {rotation:360});
addChild(circle);

orbitAndRotate.fla.zip

• Like 1