Search Community

Kickstarter Campaign for Nevergrind, a GSAP-powered in-browser game

Carl test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Hey Guys,

Joe Leonard, an active GreenSock community member, has been working really hard on his in-browser game Nevergrind.

It features silky smooth animation powered by GSAP and professional artwork. 

He's running a Kickstarter campaign to bring it to the next level. You can play the game for free now and watch a video explaining everything he has planned here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nevergrind/nevergrind-html5-action-rpg

Carl

• Like 3

Thanks, Carl, I appreciate the support. I have spent more than 30 months developing this game. It could have been finished faster, but I'm married, I have three kids, and I work full-time, which means I have precious few hours to work on this project. It would be interesting to see what kind of game a small team of full-time professionals could pull off using GSAP and EaselJS. Nonetheless, Nevergrind stands as a good example of what is possible using a mix of DOM UI elements and canvas elements. The trailer gives a pretty good idea of how many elements can be flying around the screen without breaking a sweat.

I figure I would mention a little about the technical aspects of the game:

• Built with a combination of JQuery, GSAP, and EaselJS. JQuery to simplify common tasks like event delegation and AJAX. GSAP for timers and tweening. EaselJS for canvas.
  • Built without using a conventional game loop, yet you can pause the game thanks to the delayedCall method. Game actions are event driven.
  • Built using a mixture of DOM elements for the UI and canvas elements for most animations, monsters, "special effects", particles, etc.
  • I took care to minimize the number of DOM elements. I believe a $.length returns about 350, though it grows if the chat log is enabled.
  • There's significant room left to optimize, so it could definitely run even more smoothly if I had time to make those adjustments. It still runs very smoothly on most desktops and laptops I have seen.

That's all that comes to mind right now. If anyone has any questions about its development, I'd be happy to discuss it.

• Like 2