Search Community

Evernote chrome browser extension and GSAP

mandooraj test
Moderator Tag

Go to solution Solved by OSUblake,

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Hi,

I have tried a simple implementation of sliding animation(using scrollto plugin) which works smooth in firefox. in chrome with the evernote extension being disabled, the animation is smooth. when the extension is enabled, there occurs a stutter in the animation. Do you have any ideas? Here is my code

<div class="animation-container">
			<div class="slide" id="slide-1"></div>
			<div class="slide" id="slide-2">

</div>
		</div>
body, html{
    height: 100%;
}

body {
	background: none #D8D6C3;
	overflow: hidden;
}

.animation-container {
    position: absolute;
    left: 0;
    top: 0;
    width: 100%;
    z-index: 1;
}

.slide {
    position: relative;
    width: 100%;
    z-index: 2;
}

#slide-1 {
    background: none transparent;
}

#slide-2 {
	background: none #000000;
}
//References to DOM elements
var $window = $(window);
var $document = $(document);
var $slidesContainer = $(".animation-container");
var $slides = $(".slide");
var $currentSlide = $slides.eq(1);

//The height and width of the window
var pageHeight = $window.innerHeight();
var pageWidth = $window.innerWidth();

var slideAnim = new TimelineMax({paused: true});

// Initial Fill Animation
slideAnim.to($slidesContainer, 1, {scrollTo: {y: pageHeight * $currentSlide.index() }, ease: Circ.easeOut});
slideAnim.to($currentSlide, 1, {backgroundColor: "#0f0318"}, "-=1");

slideAnim.play();

Thank you

Hi mandooraj

Right off the bat I don't see anything odd, but it's easier to figure out what's going on if you can make a CodePen.

So how did you narrow it down to Evernote? I always have the extenstion running in Chrome alongisde the desktop version, so they're always syncing, and have never experienced any problems that I could blame on Evernote.

Here's some scrollTo demos you can test out. You can also use the Up/Down arrows to scroll, and the Control button to speed up the second demo. 

See the Pen emEajW by osublake (@osublake) on CodePen

See the Pen myMNNL by osublake (@osublake) on CodePen

• Like 1

Hi OSUblake,

Thanks for the suggestion. I made a codepen and it works fine on chrome with evernote being enabled. When i open the same code from my local server(localhost), there is a stutter in the animation. In incognito, there is no such stutter though....

Hi Mandoo,

I noticed that you are using a different version of GSAP on your server than you are on CodePen.

On your server you are using version 1.14.2 and on CodePen you are using the latest, which is 1.15.1. Try updating to a newer version.

<script src="http://cdnjs.cloudflare.com/ajax/libs/gsap/1.15.1/TweenMax.min.js"></script>

// Or for the latest...
<script src="http://cdnjs.cloudflare.com/ajax/libs/gsap/latest/TweenMax.min.js"></script>

• Solution

If you cleared your cache and are still seeing a difference between CodePen and a normal browser window, my best guess would be that Evernote is initializing and parsing the page which is causing a delay.  Because CodePen runs in a frame, you won't see a delay like you do with a hard refresh.

Try adding a delay and a repeat to your animation to see if the problem still persists after some time has passed.

• Like 2