Search Community

Chrome SVG Alpha Mask Bug

timherbert test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

So I've been struggling to figure out how to resolve this issue and figured there has to be some kind of resolution to this by now as I've seen people reporting this bug with chrome for years it seems like. 

I managed to get it working in Firefox and IE, haven't checked anything else. Although Ie has issues with unset SVG Widths and Heights so it seems like I need to setup a backup script to set that on load for IE. 

But this is driving me nuts. I just want to animate some simple clouds through a background. The only problem is the clouds are using an alpha mask which won't seem to animate. 

Also this isn't the final animation, I am just trying to get it to work before I spend more time on it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! 

Thanks.

See the Pen YPQjLW by timherbert (@timherbert) on CodePen

Hi

Thanks for the demo.

I think you just need to make sure you group the mask and the masked image properly.

Please take a look at this demo I found on CodePen which shows an interactive mask effect

http://codepen.io/noeldelgado/pen/ByxQjL

I'm using that just so that it is really clear what the mask is and what is being masked.

Using a similar structure, I think you can get your clouds to work like this:

http://codepen.io/GreenSock/pen/50dc5c75b854798de4cafb79637dd093/

I found your SVG to be a bit daunting to work with, but hopefully this illustrates the concept.

• Like 3