Search Community

Firefox Performance

Peter Trenery test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

I'm new to gsap. Starting to get into the code. The library looks great. When testing my animations, I noticed they looked a little different under firefox. Was using Elastic.easeOut and it was noticeably bouncier at the end under firefox. Was wondering if it's performance related.

I found this greensock speed test page: https://greensock.com/js/speed.html. I selected the GSAP library.

My results were as follows:

Chrome (40.0.2214.111 m): ~90+fps - excellent

IE (11.0.9600.17501): ~55-60fps - also extremely good

FF (35.0.1): ~20-22fps - not so great

My system is Win 7.

I tried multiple times and the results were consistent. I have no idea if it's related to the perceivable differences in the elastic easing but the results for FF were surprisingly poor when compared to the two other browsers. I have pretty much the default settings for FF including hardware acceleration turned on.

For kicks, I tried the same site on my Android phone: ~28-32fps - better than desktop FF.

Do you see similar results with the latest version of FF? Is this a known issue with FF?

Thanks,

Peter

Hi Peter Trenery  :)

seems there's something wrong with FF 35.0.1 !!!!

but pls check other framework fps too !!! this's what i have win 7 + FF 35.0.1 with 300 dots :

jquery : 16 ~ 19.5

GSAP : 34.5 ~ 37.2 ( with chrome 95.2 ~ 98.4  !!! )

mootools: 21.4 ~ 22.7

dojo: 20 ~ 22.4

Tweenjs : 28.4 ~ 30

zepto : 22.8 ~ 23.4

• Like 2

Hello pixeldroid, Chrome / Safari (webkit) actually has more documented bugs then Firefox does :)

Also when testing in Firefox it is best to test in a clean new Profile with no extensions. Unlike Chrome, Incognito mode might skew results. For Firefox its best to switch to a new profile with no extensions installed to properly debug your code. Try using this Firefox Addon ProfileSwictcher. Since the incognito mode in Firefox will still skew results due to ongoing Firefox memory leak bugs. Whereas Chrome you can simply go into an Incognito tab or window to debug, without having extensions skew results.

Just my 2 cents :)

• 3 months later...

I am still seeing the same issue the OP posted about at the beginning of the year.  I am now at FF 38.0 on Ubuntu 14.04.  I have also gone to http://greensock.com/js/speed.html to run the tests, and FF easily performs the worst out of FF, Chrome, and IE.  As Jonathan suggested, I created a clean profile when I tested FF, but that did not help with performance.  I have also done the tests on a colleagues Mac Book Pro, and am seeing Firefox still perform significantly worse than the other browsers.

I am developing an application where we may show many svg circles (hundreds/thousands) elements that can pulse (by changing the radius).  It looks great in Chrome, decent in IE, and looks like complete crap in Firefox.

I have done a bit of research into it and it sounds like I am out of luck.  Hoping someone can shed some light on if FF is fixing this soon, if there is a workaround, or what alternatives could be.  For example, is there anything that I could expect to see better performance out of for animating svg elements?  Is SMIL any better?

Sorry, we don't really know what the FF team is up to and know just as much as anyone else regarding what they may fix and when  :|

I have seen FF run poorly (and certainly worse than Chrome) under stress too, so your results are not unique to you. 

Curious though if you see any other engines in the speed test performing better than GSAP using FF with the same number of dots. 

i want to point out that the performance problems in FF are not due to how fast GSAP code can execute (which is super fast BTW), but how well FF can keep up with the rendering and layout changes. There really isn't much we can do to overcome problems in the browser when it comes to that. 

I'm glad you mentioned SVG. Typically they are more of a performance drain than other elements as the vector data needs to be recalculated often and that can be quite costly. Oddly, I recall someone saying that FF does a pretty good job with SVG but I can't remember who / where at the moment.

I would definitely test soon with your SVGs before you go too far down that path, especially if you are tweening thousands of them.

I'm very biased, but I would advise against SMIL as Google / Chrome plan to deprecate it and MicroSoft shows no sign of adapting it.