Search Community

Draggable clashes with contenteditable="true" (using Froala Editor)

martinambrus test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

I've just discovered that Draggable will clash with contenteditable="true" elements in a way that:

• it sometimes puts edit cursor at the beginning of the editable element
  • most of the time it prevents editable content to be edited, except when it contains clickable elements, like A, INPUT, BUTTON...

Example: http://jsfiddle.net/9j2r56md/

... in the example, there are 2 boxes, both enhanced via Froala Editor which basically just adds a DIV with contenteditable="true". First div has data-clickable="true" on the draggable container DIV, so the DIV is not draggable but the issue is still visible. The second one has an additional strange behaviour, as it starts to drag the box when the contenteditable="true" element is clicked.

An updated version is available here that just adds one extra DIV with contenteditable="true" only, so it's obvious that it's not a Froala thing: http://jsfiddle.net/9j2r56md/1/

Eventually, it would be great if this could be addressed inside Draggable, as I've already came across a use case where a person clicks inside the contenteditable area and moves their mouse away, thus bringing the issue back.

The only way I can work around this now is by creating an "edit" mode which disables all draggables on page, so elements are editable there. This works but needs an additional switch/click added to the workflow, and we're very much trying to avoid such a need :)

Thanks!

Thanks Jack, I've tried the new Draggable version and it seems that it fixes the ability to click inside the contenteditable areas and start editing. However, the moment I stop typing on a keyboard, the editable area seems to loose focus, which will disable editing the content altogether until I click inside again.

This is the behaviour that has driven me to write this bug report, so the updated version basically solves the ability to click inside a contenteditable but won't allow me to continuously edit that content if I stop typing or move my mouse out of the area.