Search Community

Reliable video loop for Android (StageVideo)?

goldenmulti test
Moderator Tag

Hello all,

What I am looking for is very simple, but I have yet to find a solution - hopefully someone here can help!  I need a GreenSock savior!

I am creating a public kiosk for an android tablet (HP Slate 17) using Flash CC-2014 Pro, and the screen saver is a short video.  All I need the video to do is loop indefinitely (and reliably) when the screen is not in use.  Seems simple enough!

I first tried the built-in Flash Pro video player with FLV and H264 files - easy enough to implement, but after a few hours the video freezes.  No good.

I then read up on "StageVideo" and how it utilizes the GPU of the tablet which should improve the performance.  Sounds promising, but I haven't had any luck getting a working example that loops...

This non-looping tutorial works fine on iOS (an iPad 2), but I get no video at all when I switch to Android:  http://01am.co.uk/blog/stagevideo-ios-air (*Note: You also don't see any video when testing the movie directly from Flash, but I understand that this is normal.  You have to publish to the device to see it).

I tried all of the samples posted here on the Android tablet - the video does play and loop some times, but more often than not the video does NOT loop after a few minutes (obviously no good either):  http://greensock.com/forums/topic/6567-video-stop-between-loop/

Many of the other tutorials/examples out there are for Flex or Flash Builder and are not helping (I'm using Flash Pro).

Here is a link to the non-looping version from the first link, but honestly I'm not sure if that's the best route or not.

Is there a basic GreenSock StageVideo example or tutorial available?

This will potentially make or break this project, so I appreciate any help!  Thanks!

Sorry to hear of the troubles. Unfortunately, if the plain AS3 route is causing trouble its a good sign that VideoLoader isn't going to be able to fix it. 

It is unlikely that we are going to find a fix for this in a timely manner, and I don't have any examples to point you to that I know work.

I wish I had better news for you.