Search Community

Simple ScrollTo

celli test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Hi Guys,

I've run into a little challenge with the scrollToPlugin. Since I am changing heights of some of my DIVs through scrollMagic as we scroll, I think I need a bit of a conditional statement within my code to scroll to the correct positions.

My code works every time I am scrolling DOWNWARD in direction like this

TweenLite.to(window, 1, {scrollTo:{y:$("#nav2").offset().top+156}, ease:Expo.easeOut})

But when I am past that position the heights have changed and I need to now use this, to scroll the page UPWARD

TweenLite.to(window, 1, {scrollTo:{y:$("#nav2").offset().top-134}, ease:Expo.easeOut})

Is there a best way I can use an 'if else' statement to check if I am already past the '#nav2' position ? I think this will solve this little problem, but I am unsure exactly how to write that code.

Maybe you can take a look at this codePen. It is a little messy because we are missing a bunch of images -- but that shouldn't really matter for the demo. The only JS that we need to pay attention to is the // nav scrollTo items at the top of the JS. 

If you CLICK on the "visionaries" nav item, and then the "work" item, and make note of the position that it scrolls to. Then CLICK the "about" item, and then back to the "work" item again and now take note of it's position again. The position for "work" is different depending on whether I scroll from below the anchor or below it.

I also notice that because the rows stack and expand it is not scrolling to the same positions as the browser width changes. And if I click on 'Visionaries' and then 'global' and then 'global' again, I am able to click 'global' TWICE to reach my final scroll position, which also appears strange.

See the Pen PwOKaK by celli (@celli) on CodePen

There's got to be an easy fix that I am missing here!

• 5 years later...

Hi

I'm trying the scrollTo plugin, awesome, just a detail, when it triggered it adds an hash (#) at the end of the URL, like www.mysite.com/page#

How can avoid this?

Second and last one, I'm trying to use it with class instead of id and it seems to work, is this correct or is recommended to use id? 

gsap.to(window, { duration: 1, scrollTo: ".section--overview", ease: "power4.inOut" });

Thanks

2 hours ago, Black Ducas said:

when it triggered it adds an hash (#) at the end of the URL, like www.mysite.com/page#

How can avoid this?

The same way you'd avoid it without the ScrollToPlugin - intercept the click callback for all of those sorts of links and .preventDefault() on the event passed into the callback :) 

3 hours ago, Black Ducas said:

I'm trying to use it with class instead of id and it seems to work, is this correct or is recommended to use id? 

The downside of using a class is if the ScrollToPlugin isn't loaded the link wouldn't jump to the section. That's a rare case so you don't have to worry much about it, but other than that there shouldn't be a difference.

• Like 1

Thanks @ZachSaucier for clarify.

Just one thing: I noticed that clicking the link when page isn't at top it doesn't scroll starting from that point but it abruptly jump to the top (without animation) and then animate the scroll down. Is it normal?

Here my code:

if (this.shopCtaBtns) {
      this.shopCtaBtns.forEach(element => {
        element.addEventListener('click', (e) => {
          gsap.to(window, { duration: 1, scrollTo: "#section-overview", ease: "power4.inOut" });
        })
      })
    }