Search Community

Older android browsers

Guest GRDC
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Has anyone experienced issues with Tweening in older versions of the default Android browser?  The tweens become mis-aligned in these browsers, but no others.  I tested with a default Android browser in Kit Kat, and it works fine.  In Jelly Bean, the tweens were off.  There is a great deal of code driving these tweens, so a codepen is something I'll defer to after I receive some commentary.

Great platform by the way.  We were using jQuery.animate(), and it became unusable with the amount of content we had animating.  Moving to GSAP has made a world of difference, and is well worth the investment.

Has anyone experienced issues with Tweening in older versions of the default Android browser?  

Hmm, not particularly. Sounds like something very specific to the types of properties you are tweening and the browser. Really hard to know what it can be without seeing it. I don't have any Jelly Bean devices, but perhaps someone else can put their eyes on a simple demo. 

• Like 1

I never had issues tweening properties in older Android versions including Jelly bean, unless I was tweening hundreds of elements, but only in rare occasions. But after lagSmoothing() was added to the GSAP API it helped in those situations. So i would have to agree with Carl that maybe it has to do with the properties or way they are being tweened.  So a code example would be really helpful.

lagSmoothing() : http://greensock.com/docs/#/HTML5/GSAP/TweenLite/static_lagSmoothing/

Permits you to control what happens when too much time elapses between two ticks (updates) of the engine, adjusting the core timing mechanism to compensate and avoid "jumps".

:)

Turns out, it was an error in the way older browsers were interpreting negative margins, which would cause the tween to start from a different position than an svg line drawn to represent its path.  As usual, no problems with GSAP.  Thanks for helping!