Search Community

Minimum System Requirements for GreenSocks?

James WIlk test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

I'm wondering how little RAM and GHZ of CPU and GPU Ram would be needed to run an application that is solely GSAP? The application utilizies blurs, and advanced easing that render poorly when out of RAM. The application also runs in Google Chrome.

Ideas on ideal system requirements? 

In the overall scope of your project, GSAP likely only accounts for a tiny portion of the CPU/GPU/memory consumption. It's a highly-efficient way of changing properties over time on the JavaScript layer, that's all. Typically graphics rendering is by FAR the most intensive part, and GSAP has nothing to do with that. For example, if you're moving 300 images that are each massive, all at the same time, GSAP may account for 0.01% of the overall effort that the machine must expend, whereas decoding and rendering the graphics (and storing them in memory) accounts for the rest. See what I mean? So there really isn't a "minimum system requirements" for GSAP at all. I'd encourage you to pick some specs for a minimum target (iPad 3 for example, or whatever) and run some tests that involve exactly the type of thing you're going to be attempting. I can tell you that filters (like blurs) tend to be extremely processing-intensive, but that has nothing to do with GSAP at all. 

I wish I had an easy answer for you :(

• Like 1

In my experience the answer is also dependent on the size of the moving objects (in terms of screen real-estate) as well as the number of objects.    I've done small particle systems animation with dozens of particles and had no problem whatsoever.  But just a small number of large moving objects with a 3D transform can sometimes look jerky on a relatively good workstation.  

Test. Test. Test. It's the only way to know.