Search Community

Setting Height to 0px and tweening to auto with TimelineMax

jsring test
Moderator Tag

Go to solution Solved by Carl,

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Hey guys!

I have a div with text placed inside a container with a flexible width which means that depending on the screen width the height of the div will change. I would like to tween the height and alpha so that they start at height: 0px and autoAlpha:0 and on click the height increases to 100% of the text as it fades in. The provided example is part of a much larger timeline in my project and all other aspects of my gsap code are working great.

I have read through other demonstrations using the set property, but I have not seen this working with TimelineMax, only with TweenMax. Is there something else I need to do to get my text container to start at 0 and tween to auto?

Much appreciated!

See the Pen bNggeQ by jsring (@jsring) on CodePen

Hello

Thanks so much for the demo. Very helpful.

The TimelineMax stuff was actually working perfectly to adjust the height, you just couldn't see it:)

Step 1: give the text background-color

.text p { 
  background-color:red;
}

test.

Step 2: add overflow

.text p { 
  background-color:red;
  overflow:hidden;
}

http://codepen.io/GreenSock/pen/wBgJga

• Like 2

Thanks for the response!

Here is a demo of what I am trying to achieve. Note that the text is initially not visible.

See the Pen jEywqJ by jsring (@jsring) on CodePen

The problem is, I need it to tween to 100% of the text, rather than 200px. The text might not actually be 200px on a narrower screen.

I guess my question is, how do I tween to a height of 100% or auto from 0? Maybe there isn't a solution for that.

Here is another example that demonstrates more of the underlying issue I'm running into in my timeline animation.

See the Pen myRwRx by jsring (@jsring) on CodePen

It seems as though overflow: hidden is not being honored by the browser, perhaps due to autoAlpha? The height of the red paragraph should appear to increase at the rate of it's parent container.

Carl, your answer was better than mine because you took position: absolute out and it still worked. I thought it needed to be there so jquery could pull that height of that block—my bad. You guys are the best!

• Like 1